• Boat Banter

It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 05:46
  • View new posts
  • View unanswered posts
  • Who is online
  • In total there is 1 user online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 1 guest (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
  • Most users ever online was 1736 on 21 Nov 2020, 15:51
  • Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

Say hello and introduce yourself!

Hi from Littlehampton

by GrahamWebb » 26 May 2016, 08:57

Hi just for I would join this forum as I am interested in boating and would like to learn to sail as well at some point. :)

So far my experience is limited to pottering around off the beach on calm days on a sit on top kayak and also a small inflatable with a 2.5hp outboard. Since I want something a bit more sea worthy than the inflatable and the possibility of doing a bit of sailing I have just bought a bigger more sea worthy boat.

Orkney Spinner 13 Skua

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/252384221895

Going to be picking up on Saturday with a friend of mine who happens to know about boats and towing trailers so will have a bit of advice there as have never towed a trailer before. Want to use it to explore the coast and do a bit of fishing then when I am a bit more confident will try the sails.

I have a VHF radio and have done the RYA short range course, also have a Powerboat Level 2 booked for a months time so I can get some experience.

Will be looking for a 6HP outboard to go with it and have seen a long shaft Yamaha one I am going to bid on.

Anyway I am looking for advice on sailing and boating in general so thought I would say hello.

Thanks Graham
GrahamWebb
Able Rate
Able Rate

by Ianfs » 26 May 2016, 09:13

Hi Graham

Thanks for posting and welcome.

That Orkney is a cracking boat for the money with sails, oars etc. I couldn't see a tow hitch though, so you'll have trouble getting it back from Essex. Shouldn't be too hard to tow with and virtually any car will tow it. Take a jack with you and spin the trailer wheels before you tow it, they should be free of rumbling noises. The guy has 100% positive feedback and doesn't expect a return, so I would guess that he has checked the wheel bearings, but to be on the safe side, spin them anyway, it's undoubtedly been used as a launching trolley.

I'm sure someone on here had an outboard for sale, hopefully they'll be along soon. :)
Ianfs
Captain
Captain

by GrahamWebb » 26 May 2016, 09:35

Hi thanks for the reply.

The guy selling the boat does say that there is a trailer hitch with it just that its not in the pictures. I got the idea to look for an Orkney Spinner as I often walk along the coast from Littlehampton to Bognor and I pass two of them that are up near the beach. They looked really sturdy so decided to look if any were for sale. That one with the option to sail as well seemed ideal for what I want. :)

The guy I am taking with me knows quite a bit about trailers so will check it over and make sure its safe before pulling it on the road. The seller says it has recently had new bearings and wheels so fingers crossed it will be all ok.
GrahamWebb
Able Rate
Able Rate

by Ianfs » 26 May 2016, 10:08

Sounds like it'll be fine.

Ooooo bet you're excited. :mrgreen:
Ianfs
Captain
Captain

by ColinR » 26 May 2016, 12:41

Hi Graham and welcome to the mad and fun world of boat ownership. Look forward to seeing some "in action" photos.

Lets all hope for some decent weather not so you can enjoy yourself. Looks like you're starting the right way with the radio and RYS courses. :D
ColinR
All round Jolly Good Chap
All round Jolly Good Chap

by GrahamWebb » 26 May 2016, 14:55

Yep really looking forward to picking it up on Saturday, just a bit worried about towing it home as never towed before. Having the tow bar fitted tomorrow!

I wanted VHF radio before I even ventured out on the sea, also have a waterproof dual sim mobile phone that I take with me as well.

Hopefully the RYA course will put me in good stead when I did the VHF course they were really informative and I learnt quite a bit.
GrahamWebb
Able Rate
Able Rate

by GrahamWebb » 28 May 2016, 06:41

Well the the tow bar fitter went and let me down didnt he and now cant get to me until tuesday which is a total pain as I rang him up monday morning to book it and confirmed during the week. :(

Wont be able to pick up Sunday now or perhaps during the week if I take a day off. GRRRRR

Put a bit of a dampener on my bank holiday weekend but me and my friend who knows about boats (used to be in the navy and delivered yachts etc Ocean Yachtsmaster) is going to come with me today to go an have a look. So a bit of a ride out on the motorbikes and will get to look over the boat and make sure its all good for towing. Was really disapointed I can tell you.
GrahamWebb
Able Rate
Able Rate

by Ianfs » 28 May 2016, 07:52

That is so annoying when it happens. If you haven't paid this tow bar fitter, could you have a ring round to a few places to see if they could fit you in?
They're not that difficult to fit it's mainly the electrics can be a problem solving exercise.
Ianfs
Captain
Captain

by shibbs » 28 May 2016, 20:54

Hi Graham, Welcome to the forum! Loads of great advice and help on here when you need it!

I can imagine your frustration with the let down!! :evil:

As for being in the Navy so knowing about boats... i wouldn't be so sure that's necessarily true... :lol: :lol: :lol:
Stu

Princess 286 Riviera
Twin Volvo Penta AD41’s
shibbs
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

by GrahamWebb » 29 May 2016, 14:00

Thanks yeah it was really frustrating but going to see the boat was good as reassured the seller I wasnt messing them about. Very impressed with the boat to be honest in pretty good nick and has all the masts and rigging etc. The seller had done a good job preparing it for towing so it was a shame that I couldnt get it yesterday.

My mate I bought with me was in his element and is going to show me how to rig the sails up which will put me in good stead for when I try sailing, I have bought a 6HP mariner 2 stroke engine locally as well but will post about that in the motorboat forum as have some questions about it. :)
GrahamWebb
Able Rate
Able Rate

Return to Say hello and introduce yourself!

User Menu