• Boat Banter

It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 19:43

Say hello and introduce yourself!

Mornin. ..

by Carl » 05 Feb 2015, 17:56

Hi Folks, ..
I am Carl. I live in South west Devon with my wife Annamarie and 3 house buns.

We own a 2010 Bayliner 175GT named "Vonny" ..

will get some pics up in a bit ....
Carl .. Bayliner 175gt "Annamarie"
Carl

Joined: 29 Jan 2015, 14:04
Location: Devon, UK

by sprocker » 05 Feb 2015, 19:20

Hello from another Devonite!
User avatar
sprocker

Location: Plymouth, Devon

by betty boop » 06 Feb 2015, 09:03

welcome, love the boat- similar to mine the macum 1800mx, all the same mould just different refinments - great boat though.

South Devon as in Torquay? seems to be a lot of you south Devon boys around recently :D
betty boop
RNLI Hero
RNLI Hero

by ColinR » 06 Feb 2015, 12:11

Hi and welcome, we're not usually this quiet. Something to do with the time of year I suspect.
User avatar
ColinR
All round Jolly Good Chap
All round Jolly Good Chap

Location: Hampshire, England

by Carl » 06 Feb 2015, 16:29

betty boop wrote:welcome, love the boat- similar to mine the macum 1800mx, all the same mould just different refinments - great boat though.

South Devon as in Torquay? seems to be a lot of you south Devon boys around recently :D

Not in Torquay, .... am just up the road in Newton Abbot. .. We more often than not launch at the poly steps on the teign. ..

a little more about me, ... I am a former 3rd Totnes sea scout and spent my childhood in and around the river Dart.
work wise, I am a carer for my wife who has learning disabilities and her elderly mum.
Carl .. Bayliner 175gt "Annamarie"
Carl

Joined: 29 Jan 2015, 14:04
Location: Devon, UK

by sprocker » 07 Feb 2015, 09:57

Hi Carl,

I'm just outside Newton Abbot! I'd be interested to hear about launching from Polly Steps and your experience
Of the estuary there. It's one trip I would like to do this year.
User avatar
sprocker

Location: Plymouth, Devon

by Carl » 07 Feb 2015, 11:02

The poly steps are a p.i.t.a to launch from and you need to be registered with Teignmouth harbour authority (cost a tenner per year)

If you go down there at half tide (in or out) there's quite a current running right across the bottom of the slip and as there are rocks/stones either side things can get interesting ... there's about a foot of water at low tide to play with. ..
In my opinion it's far easier to launch around the corner on the sand. ...

The estuary itself isn't much to write home about tbh. ... when we launch we always go around the coast.

will get some pics etc when we go that way next.
Carl .. Bayliner 175gt "Annamarie"
Carl

Joined: 29 Jan 2015, 14:04
Location: Devon, UK

by TorbayRob » 08 Feb 2015, 10:04

Welcome Carl,

We're local too - live in Kingskerswell and boat mostly around Torbay. 8-) We have launched at Polly Steps, Brixham and Torquay - but have tended to use Torquay more in the last couple of years. The main advantage for us at Polly Steps was cost (free in winter) and nearby parking, but I now tend to book a week at a time on the visitor pontoon at Torquay. We'll go down say Thursday evening and launch then take trailer home. For the days we use, I then drop the missus and son off by the pontoons with provisions and park up the hill for free. I then pull the boat out the following week. The cost is around £60 for the week including slipway and it's really nice to start the day without the launch/parking hassles! :D

How far do you travel? We've done The Exe, The Dart, The Teign and hoping to go a bit further this year - Lyme Regis and Salcombe are high on the list! We've done the Yealm and Tamar, but from a Plymouth launch, not going around - yet! Would really like to do Portland/Weymouth, but need a good weather window for that one as the boat's just under 16' :mrgreen:

We'll keep a lookout for you on the water...

Regards,

Robin

Image
TorbayRob
Petty Officer
Petty Officer

Location: Torbay (or pub if it's raining)

by Ianfs » 12 Feb 2015, 10:37

Hi Carl and welcome

by Carl » 12 Feb 2015, 13:36

Thanks folks. ..

We have only launched from Town Quay (at the end of Brunel road Ind estate) but you only have a small window to launch and retrieve. ... Totnes at the end of Steamer Quay. or the poly steps.

We went down as far as Duncannon on the dart while we were getting to grips with how she handled etc. ..

Been out as far as Thatcher rock from the poly steps. .. but that's pretty much it for us as we didn't get vonny until the end of the season ..
Carl .. Bayliner 175gt "Annamarie"
Carl

Joined: 29 Jan 2015, 14:04
Location: Devon, UK

Return to Say hello and introduce yourself!