• Boat Banter

It is currently 19 May 2024, 22:13
  • In total there are 2 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 2 guests (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
  • Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

Say hello and introduce yourself!

Boat noob

by pbp » 08 May 2024, 11:31

Hi all, its been years since I last did any boating of anykind (30+ years ago). Recently the sea has been calling me and Im now fixated on getting back into it. So im looking for advice on how to go about it all. I understand I will need to get a license to actually have a boat that would be suitable for coastal use. What would be the courses/classes I would need to attend to be able to achieve this? Any pointers or help I would be very grateful of. Thanks in advance.

PbP
pbp
Able Rate
Able Rate

Joined: 08 May 2024, 11:15

by Ianfs » 13 May 2024, 15:50

Hello PBP

The calling of the sea is strong in this one.. :lol: We certainly know the feeling.

First of all, you are lucky in the UK that you don't need a licence to drive your pleasure boat, although as you have eluded to already, I would strongly advise having some sort of training as well. If you log onto the RYA website it'll give you a list of courses and trainers for your area. Undoubtedly though, if you are going to sea, you'll need to take a VHF licence for a VHF radio, it's always best practice to have at least a handheld of fixed VHF on board.

Choosing your course, in my opinion, will depend upon which type of boat you're are intending to buy. For example if its a small rib then Powerboat 1 or 2 would be a good place to start, on the other hand if its coastal cruising you are after then maybe consider Day Skipper for either Power or Sail.

by ian h » 14 May 2024, 20:52

I would agree

definitely VHF and PB Level 2

VHF is 1 day course
PB Level 2 is 2 days
ian h

Return to Say hello and introduce yourself!

User Menu