• Boat Banter

It is currently 18 Apr 2024, 06:07

Say hello and introduce yourself!

Hello boat mates

by sylvo » 12 Dec 2019, 13:27

New to the forum, so just saying hello and a merry christmas to all those aboard.

I have had several boats over the years, mostly small river boats. Back in the day I did some sailing and a bit of solo stuff. I belong to a small boat club on the river Thames BMYC The River Club, at a place called Thames Ditton (its on the none tidal part of the Thames) although some of us do venture into the tidal area. It is a great little club with our own slipway and small clubhouse. Mixture of boats, small motor boats and sailing boats. We are limited to a max of 16'. I mainly use my boat for fishing but have been known to take the wife down the river for a spot of lunch. We are close to the river Wey which is idylic in the summer. We also have a tandem kayak which my wife loves....so i get dragged out quite a bit (even in the winter) :roll:

I have recently purchased another small boat (13' Orkney type spinner with 10 hp on the back) my old boat is now on the drive so can prep for selloing in the early spring. Its a cracker 15' retro sports boat with a 50 hp on the back, basically did not get enough use out of it, engine too big for the river, we are restricted to 5 knotts.

Looking forward to kitting out my new boat, it is a cracker, fully restored by someone who was clearly OCD (no complaints) it looks better than a new boat and will really suit me for my fishing adventures or just lazing about in the summer having a read and taking some pics. Love been on the water...even in the kayak : )

May be picking a few brains on ideas....well probably will. Its good to communicate with like minded people.
sylvo
Able Rate
Able Rate

Joined: 12 Dec 2019, 13:12

by Ianfs » 16 Dec 2019, 16:25

Hi Sylvo

A very warm welcome to the forum.

Thames Ditton eh, that brings back memories. I'm assuming you'll use your boat on the Wey and the Thames. My wife and I have some fond memories of cruising the Thames when we lived in Marlow and I used to fish it using the Marlow Angling Club stretches. We also know Weybridge quite well and she used to work there.

What sort of fishing do you do? I'm assuming its mainly course fishing but I suspect you could take that boat down to the coast occasionally. We have moved now and have the Hampshire Avon and Dorset Stour on our doorstep, so The Royalty and Throop are our local course rivers.

by sylvo » 22 Dec 2019, 09:50

Hi lanfs,

Yes, it is a great location, lovely little club next door to the Albany pub with out own slipway and clubhouse. I do mainly course fishing, I used to do lots of sea fishing but its a bit of a trek from this area. The Thames is fishing very well these days, lots of the usual suspects, roach, perch etc. Plenty of the larger fish about, bream, carp, barbel, tench my favorite spot is the weir at Sunbury lock love catching barbel. We spend a lot of time in Pembrokeshire (Solva/St Davids area) considering taking the boat over there one summer. Thank you for such a welcoming message.
sylvo
Able Rate
Able Rate

Joined: 12 Dec 2019, 13:12

by Ianfs » 22 Dec 2019, 16:38

Thank you for such a welcoming message.

You are very welcome.

My son in law fishes the places I used to fish and sends the same messages about it fishing well. I remember fishing Littleton lake and Wraysbury as well, do you know these?

Pembrokeshire is a beautiful area, if you ever get the urge though, head for Newhaven with possibly the only slipway for miles, its almost directly South from you, the port is a bit industrial and to get out you really need winds of F1 - 3 if Southerly or SW, but the ramp is good and the fishing off Seaford, Cuckmere Haven and Beachy Head is interesting, with some of the best scenery in the UK, just a thought.

Return to Say hello and introduce yourself!