• Boat Banter

It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 02:28

Say hello and introduce yourself!

first boat

by benthepaint » 28 Jun 2018, 14:25

Hi after living by the solent for over 30 years and having recently retired i thought it was about time to get a boat, so here i am having very little experience on boats other than hiring a 60hp bowrider when we go on holiday to the greek islands, i have bought an old 17ft 3ltr inboard bowrider, i intend to go on a powerboat course in the solent and would appreciate any recommendations from people who know a lot more than i do at the moment, the boat is a little scruffy at the moment and i am in the middle of cleaning and polishing it at the moment. the engine has recently had a major overhaul and i went to the company who did the work to check what i had been told by the seller was correct , it was all correct and the company was most helpful in answering all my questions, unfortunately it is 3 inches to high to get it into my garage so it will have to stay on my drive, i thought if i was able to remove the windscreen i could then get it inside but it looks as if i would have to remove to much to get at the screws that secure it, my next idea was to get some smaller wheels for the snipe breakback trailer but i am having fun finding some withe same wheelstud size ,i hope this forum proves to be as much help as the car forum for my old jag has been,
I will also need some information on where and how to launch my boat as the only things i have put in the water around here have been my jetskis that i used to have a few years ago. having lived in Gosport for 30 years you would have thought i would have some ideas about this but no not really so if i can get some help with information it would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance,
Ben
benthepaint
Able Rate
Able Rate

Joined: 28 Jun 2018, 13:46

by Ianfs » 28 Jun 2018, 15:08

Hello benthepaint

I would gather from your screen name that if the boat needs a paint it would not be a problem. :D Which make is she,?I would guess you have a 3litre mercruiser or similar with a stern drive, at 17ft she will fly or if older a nice OMC or something like that.

First of all, have you thought about letting the tyres down to almost flat, it might give you that little extra loss of height to get her through the door, then support on axle stands to save tyre damage.

Which car do you tow with?

There are lots of slipways in your area, boatlaunch.co.uk will provide initial locations for you, but I strongly advise visiting slipways first to check out parking and condition, also beware than quite a few are not accessible at all states of the tide so you might be limited if you were to use them, plus some are covered in very slippery algae.

I'm not so familiar with Gosport or Portsmouth but there are a few on here who are, so hopefully someone will be along to offer better advice.

I think your idea to take a course especially if you can get someone locally is a great idea and very sensible considering your location.

Just to say, any question is a sensible one we all had to start somewhere. :)

by benthepaint » 29 Jun 2018, 07:30

Hi thanks for the welcome, luckily the boat does not need any paint just a good dusting, wash and polish. the boat came with hardly any paperwork just the receipt for the engine rebuild, after some web searching i think i have a red and white 1989 Dynasty Regency and you are right about the 3.0 mercruiser with sterndrive.
Good idea about letting the tyres down, i will give it a go, I tow with a 2.4ltr volvo that had no problem towing the boat back from the salisbury area to gosport, i only live 2 minutes from the water so not far to tow,
took your advice and checked the web and found out we have ten public slipways in the gosport area so i should be able to find one that is suitable .
next on the list is a small outboard for breakdown cover although i will be joining Seastart.
benthepaint
Able Rate
Able Rate

Joined: 28 Jun 2018, 13:46

by Ianfs » 02 Jul 2018, 09:24

I'd not heard of a Dynasty Regency until this post but I've looked it up and it seems like a great boat.

So, the major overhaul, did that include manifold replacement or is it fairly new?

Return to Say hello and introduce yourself!