Powerboat Racing Forum

Cowes powerboats

by ian h » 29 Aug 2016, 20:53

We managed a trip out today (Monday)
decided that we had been to Isle of Wight a fair bit and Lymington as well So ended up in Gunwharf Quays ,
A round trip of 40 miles came back via Cowes to see if any powerboats out practicing but sadly no,
Found 2 more Hunton's at the bottom of Southampton water A 37 and a 43. We then had a leisurely 38 knot run up Southampton water in convoy, :lol:
ian h

by shibbs » 29 Aug 2016, 21:29

ian h wrote:We then had a leisurely 38 knot run up Southampton water in convoy, :lol:

Leisurely...hahaha :lol:
I saw 2 on Saturday, the red one, with the wing on the bow..? And also another, which looked the same as yours Ian, entering Cowes Yacht Haven on Saturday afternoon.
Beautiful boats!!

by sprocker » 04 Sep 2016, 15:38

Not surprisingly only 4 boats made it to Torquay today, the seas must have been horrendous out across Lyme Bay.

Speaking to one of the BPBC ladies at Torquay, she was telling me that one of the boats (Silverline?) had sunk off Weymouth, hopefully no one was hurt.

Much respect to those teams that had a go, you are much braver than me!
User avatar
sprocker

Location: Plymouth, Devon

by shibbs » 04 Sep 2016, 19:16

Yes absolutely, must've been pretty nasty for them today!
I didn't bother going over for the start today. 20 mph winds straight down the solent wouldn't have made for a nice ride there or back.
I've been looking to see if I can find anything on the news about it but nothing yet..
Fingers crossed the crew are all ok!

by Xboatboyx » 04 Sep 2016, 19:25

Here is a brief summary of what happened
http://www.powerboatracingworld.com/201 ... r-triumph/

Out of the 14 boats only 2 made it back!
Regal 2250 - 350mag Mercruiser
User avatar
Xboatboyx
Chief Petty Officer
Chief Petty Officer

Location: Thames, Poole, Southampton, wherever

by Xboatboyx » 04 Sep 2016, 19:29

Here is a video of them leaving the calm of the Solent heading out into the harsh open sea. I would have turned round and headed to straight to the nearest pub!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OLurfcDFsC8
Regal 2250 - 350mag Mercruiser
User avatar
Xboatboyx
Chief Petty Officer
Chief Petty Officer

Location: Thames, Poole, Southampton, wherever

by mlines » 04 Sep 2016, 19:31

In some way it's a shame they did not announce the Cowes-Poole-Cowes was running the bad weather course earlier. We toyed with the idea of viewing from Lepe but thought that 30 seconds of viewing was not worth the trip. However with the smaller boats running the bad weather course we would have seen some real racing with them looping the Solent 3 times

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
Regal 2250 - "Witch Way" - MMSI:235073628
My Regal 2250
User avatar
mlines

Location: Wokingham, Berkshire

by ian h » 04 Sep 2016, 21:03

Did not take the boat out as looked at the forecast and could not see the point in getting wet and thrown around,
I did watch / follow the race on the yellow brick app on phone
ian h

by shibbs » 04 Sep 2016, 21:51

Yellow brick app :?:

by ian h » 05 Sep 2016, 19:10