• Boat Banter

It is currently 18 Apr 2024, 15:39
  • In total there are 2 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 2 guests (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
  • Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

Fishing Forum

2015 fishing aspirations

by Ianfs » 28 Feb 2015, 17:17

Mine will be that I plan to catch another big Bass somewhere, Isle of Wight maybe? :mrgreen:

I've heard it has big ones such as the British record was for a 19lb 12oz fish caught off Sandown Pier on a whole squid, the previous record to that was in 1988 for a 19 pounder. Then a Navy Sailor took it out in with a fish of 19lb 13ozs taken with frozen Sand Eel.

Consequently, this leads me to believe that if a record fish is caught at Sandown and another caught in Portsmouth, that the must be fish in the Solent! :roll:

Therefore according to my logic, anyone who says, there are no fish in the Solent, might actually be saying, there are no small fish in the Solent because the BIG fish have eaten them!! :mrgreen:

by ColinR » 01 Mar 2015, 11:39

Ah but Portsmouth to Sandown is south of the island so outside of the Solent. Apparently there are big bass of the needles.
User avatar
ColinR
All round Jolly Good Chap
All round Jolly Good Chap

Location: Hampshire, England

by Ianfs » 01 Mar 2015, 19:25

Apparently there are big bass of the needles.

Really? :D

It doesn't surprise me, Bass like Sand Eels and chasing Mackerel and bait fish in clear and shallowish water. I know you've talked about the shallows West of the Shingles where someone told me was quite sandy and then there's the Tidal races around the needles, so could be worth a go, possibly with plugs, poppers or spinners.

by ColinR » 02 Mar 2015, 14:58

Quite often see small fishing boats tucked under the Tennyson Down cliffs. Quite shallow there so maybe that's the spot to head for during the next round the IoW trip.
User avatar
ColinR
All round Jolly Good Chap
All round Jolly Good Chap