Towing (Ski's, Wakeboard etc) Forum

Learning to Wakeboard

by mlines » 16 Aug 2016, 06:55

So, I bit the bullet and took Wakeplus at Taplow up on their learn to wakeboard package, first lesson was last night.

I was more than pleased with the result of just 15 minutes on the water.

Image

Image

Regal 2250 - "Witch Way" - MMSI:235073628
My Regal 2250
User avatar
mlines

Location: Wokingham, Berkshire

by shibbs » 16 Aug 2016, 09:27

Excellent, the smile on the face says it's all!
Behind the Regal next?

by mlines » 17 Aug 2016, 20:17

Second lesson complete but no pictures as GoPro stopped. However this time I was behind the boat on the long rope and on the last run of the lesson I nailed it. Wakeboarded across the lake and up to the club house for the admiring crowds ;)

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
Regal 2250 - "Witch Way" - MMSI:235073628
My Regal 2250
User avatar
mlines

Location: Wokingham, Berkshire

by Ianfs » 17 Aug 2016, 21:08

I can only say, congratulations Martin. I have tried a few times and ended with flat face plants...painful! :o

by mlines » 18 Aug 2016, 06:22

That's why I went for formal lessons as I felt there was less chance of hurting myself. The other year I had one "try" and damaged my chest muscles. With an instructor shouting the sequence it's more controlled.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
Regal 2250 - "Witch Way" - MMSI:235073628
My Regal 2250
User avatar
mlines

Location: Wokingham, Berkshire

by Ianfs » 18 Aug 2016, 07:52

There's a sequence?

by mlines » 18 Aug 2016, 08:05

Yes, I guess the purists will complain but this is the taught (shouted!)sequence.......

Arms straight, knees to chin (or as close as a 55 year old with a stomach can get!)
Boat starts moving
Heels to Bum! - keep curled up
Board rises out of water - keep curled up
Roll forward - keep curled up, board now underneath you and planing.
Board stable - keep curled up - you can now go around the lake like this, no need to stand up! (this for me was the trick, I always thought you went straight to standing as the boat started moving)
Stand up, As board was stable and underneath you this is straight forward.
Board stable and board underneath you, not forward of you.
Rotate board forward, keeping upper body forward and rotate from the hips.
Smile and wave at crowd.

On lesson 1 we went through this sequence on the land, then on the training pole for about 3 or 4 attempts, then on the training pole rope for 2 or 3 attempts, this resulted in me standing up on the last couple of runs.

On lesson 2, I started back on the training pole rope for a couple of attempts to re-learn and then went on the full rope.

On the long rope it was up to me to remember the sequence as you cannot hear the instructor so it took a few attempts before I did it.

Just to also say that the instructor was making tiny adjustments on the throttle as he watched me wobble which clearly helped.
Regal 2250 - "Witch Way" - MMSI:235073628
My Regal 2250
User avatar
mlines

Location: Wokingham, Berkshire

by ChrisH » 18 Aug 2016, 21:16

Heels to bum is the bit I missed out. Getting dragged through the water with a vertical board rips your arms off and I gave up last year.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
User avatar
ChrisH

by mlines » 22 Aug 2016, 20:31

Lesson 3 complete!

Regal 2250 - "Witch Way" - MMSI:235073628
My Regal 2250
User avatar
mlines

Location: Wokingham, Berkshire

by mlines » 04 Sep 2016, 16:43

And now lesson 5. Really pleased on how this is coming together for me. Ok so I am not young or fit and therefore have a fairly "rigid" style at the moment but I am working on it.

Regal 2250 - "Witch Way" - MMSI:235073628
My Regal 2250
User avatar
mlines

Location: Wokingham, Berkshire

Next

Return to Towing (Ski's, Wakeboard etc) Forum