• Boat Banter

It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 18:46

Towing (Ski's, Wakeboard etc) Forum

At last

by argonaut » 20 May 2015, 18:22

On the weekend got to take Argo 2 out for first time this year.

For past 3 month been itching to get boat out but it has either been chucking it down or high winds (usually both) ........... normally don't bother is its more than 12 mph .... as to choppy to ski/ride .. last Sat even though forecast showed 17mph, with an awful forecast for Sunday decide to launch at 5pm ........
I had surgery on my knee, which prevented earlier runs .... so really good to be back out.

We had a great time ............ it was choppy, and the water is still to warm up, but glad to be there .........

On the Towed sports sub forum, I described the SkySki ............ here is my inaugural dip, the look on my face gives a clue to the water ... a tad bracing.

FourWinns H210, Volvo 280-C-N duoprop, Monster MTK tower, SBS 2600 twin axle trailer
Tow Vehicle - Landrover Discovery Sport
User avatar
argonaut

by Carl » 20 May 2015, 19:12

I'm assuming the water was fairly cold. ....
Carl .. Bayliner 175gt "Annamarie"
Carl

Joined: 29 Jan 2015, 14:04
Location: Devon, UK

by shibbs » 20 May 2015, 21:47

Brilliant!! :D :D

by Ianfs » 21 May 2015, 08:14

I'm sure I did spot one or two 4 letter words there!! You know like "dash" and "ouch", words like that!! :mrgreen: :lol: :lol:

At least you did it, well done old chap!! :)

by argonaut » 21 May 2015, 08:33

Actually it is the wet suit issue ... the may be a shock of hitting water ... but the real issue is about 20-30sec later as water seeps in.
A great first day session ... and this Sat shows good conditions ... 4mph Westerley
FourWinns H210, Volvo 280-C-N duoprop, Monster MTK tower, SBS 2600 twin axle trailer
Tow Vehicle - Landrover Discovery Sport
User avatar
argonaut

by Carl » 22 May 2015, 12:21

Water seepage depends on your wetsuit thickness .... I've not had that much seepage when I'm shoe-horned into mine
Carl .. Bayliner 175gt "Annamarie"
Carl

Joined: 29 Jan 2015, 14:04
Location: Devon, UK

by argonaut » 22 May 2015, 13:00

Ah no you got that wrong its' nothing to do with wetsuit thickness.
3mm neoprene is as waterproof as 7mm neoprene ........... the seepage occurs at arm neck & ankle holes .... better wetsuits have a secondary tubular seal that seals over about 6" on these holes. (I have a 5mm dive suit made this way) ... some or more of these features are on so called 'steamer' wet suits.

The other big seepage point is the zip .... unless you have a dryzip or double flap sealing over & under - or water will ingress that way.
FourWinns H210, Volvo 280-C-N duoprop, Monster MTK tower, SBS 2600 twin axle trailer
Tow Vehicle - Landrover Discovery Sport
User avatar
argonaut

by mlines » 22 May 2015, 13:10

I thought the principle of wet suits is that they do seep. This traps a layer of water between you and the suit which (once warmed to body heat) acts as the insulator.

otherwise it would be called a drysuit.

I have a 5mm Gul suit of medium price/quality and was "fitted" for it so its the correct size and its certainly not water tight
Regal 2250 - "Witch Way" - MMSI:235073628
My Regal 2250
User avatar
mlines

Location: Wokingham, Berkshire

by argonaut » 22 May 2015, 13:24

Originally the idea of a wet suit was to allow water in, let body heat warm it up and thereby keep warm.
A typical neoprene basic suit works that way.

The initial 'seepage' does cause the delayed 'oooooh' factor as water reaches the interesting parts.
Wetsuit efficiency is greatly reduced by wash-through ... where new cold water enters at neck or zip ... and keeps chilling you.
Better suits as described have very thin neoprene or latex seals at the entrance holes to minimise this.

Real good steamer suits almost stop any water entry, but they are more of a second skin fit.
FourWinns H210, Volvo 280-C-N duoprop, Monster MTK tower, SBS 2600 twin axle trailer
Tow Vehicle - Landrover Discovery Sport
User avatar
argonaut

by argonaut » 22 May 2015, 13:28

Also I have multiple suits for different conditions ...
On the day in question - first drop in the water
Long sleeve rash vest
Fourth Element neoprene vest
3mm Long John
3mm bolero jacket
Buoyancy jacket

When I came out of water the rash vest showed that it had only got wet on lower arms and around the neck ..... so combination keeping some of the water out.
FourWinns H210, Volvo 280-C-N duoprop, Monster MTK tower, SBS 2600 twin axle trailer
Tow Vehicle - Landrover Discovery Sport
User avatar
argonaut

Next

Return to Towing (Ski's, Wakeboard etc) Forum