Towing (Ski's, Wakeboard etc) Forum

Questions on wake, skate and/or surf - hit me up!

by Matt Crowhurst » 29 Nov 2014, 15:56

Hey All

Have already introduced myself on the main forum but thought I'd say hi here too to offer any advice to keen boarders, skaters, surfers and alike out there, whether you're buying your very first set-up or your umpteenth!

I've been on a board for over 18 years and before this, a tournament waterskier representing Britain for eight years plus. I coach on a freelance basis throughout the UK and across the world as well as training coaches for British Water Ski. Yes, wakeboarding and the world of action sports is my business and anyone who knows me, knows I do work with specific wakeboard brands.

However, I am most definitely on this site to offer genuine advice wherever it is needed so just hit me up under this new topic and I'll help out where I can.

Look forward to hearing from you.

Matt
Matt Crowhurst
Able Rate
Able Rate

by Ianfs » 05 Dec 2014, 09:16

A very warm welcome indeed to you Matt, great to have you aboard. Any budding boarders, skiiers, kneeboarders out there, take a look at this Video of Matt. :)

by mlines » 05 Dec 2014, 11:19

Well as our new boat has a wakeboard tower it would be rude not to look into this for next year!

I guess the first thing to do it to get a beginners board and a couple of practice lessons (I damaged my chest muscles in a brief practice last year!)
Regal 2250 - "Witch Way" - MMSI:235073628
My Regal 2250
User avatar
mlines

Location: Wokingham, Berkshire

by ChrisH » 05 Dec 2014, 17:08

User avatar
ChrisH

by Matt Crowhurst » 08 Dec 2014, 21:24

mlines wrote:Well as our new boat has a wakeboard tower it would be rude not to look into this for next year!

I guess the first thing to do it to get a beginners board and a couple of practice lessons (I damaged my chest muscles in a brief practice last year!)

Hey Mlines

Sorry to hear about your chest injury but if you're keen to get back out there, the tower you now have will ease the strain on all muscles during the deep water start. Yeah, getting your own board would also be great but don't think of getting a 'beginner board', there's no such thing. The differences in boards are simply in either how long they have been around i.e. a particular model could be really cheap but once started out as a Pro's signature series model for that brand, it's just been in the range a long time. The other difference is in the actual build quality. Those boards that are at an 'entry level price' and therefore considered a beginner board are most likely constructed of less high end materials and/or manufacturing techniques, making them heavier and potentially more brittle instead of harder wearing.

There are of course boards out there that are more suited to specific kinds of riding and certain features of a board that work for more people than others. If you're a boat rider, as you are, then you want a full 'stiff' board and not a hybrid or flex board as are quite popular now. These are more suited to hitting obstacles. I'd also go for a board that has more fin options. By this I mean, has moulded fins as well as removable fins or a four fin set-up. Bigger is better with board size as well, as this will be more stable. As an example for first timers, I'll usually try and make sure they are on something no smaller than a 140cm board. The bigger surface area the more stable.

I could go on forever about different spec but if you some boards in mind that you're looking at then just throw a list my way and I'll let you know which I think best for you. If you also let me know what sort of riding you'll be doing i.e. on a lake or on the sea and what level of rider you are, this will help make more bespoke choice for you.

MC
Matt Crowhurst
Able Rate
Able Rate

by Matt Crowhurst » 08 Dec 2014, 21:37

ChrisH wrote:I bought one of these at the boatshow this year.
Can I just use my wakeboard towrope for it?
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Jobe-Kick-Towable-Inflatable-person/dp/B00BBYC62E/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1417799162&sr=8-4&keywords=towable+inflatables

Chris

Using a 'wakeboard line' as an inflatables towing line completely depends on what sort of wakeboard line it is that you have. As a rule, I would always go for a specific inflatable tow line that specifies a towing capacity in line with the number of people your inflatable can fit. So for this toy, a 2 person line would do, as long as you stick to just two people on the inflatable.

If you have a full on high end, non stretch wakeboard line as 'non stretch' is the ideal for wakeboarding, then this will give a really harsh unforgiving pull. More importantly than this, however, is the fact that wakeboard lines are often very thin, if it is a proper wakeboard line, and this can be very dangerous when you're dealing with people playing in and around the line itself as is the case when using an inflatable. You want it nice and thick and highly visible. This will mean it won't get in nots and/or get so easily wrapped around hands and feet etc.

Sorry that this means you may potentially need to part with more cash but it's well worth it on the safety front.

Cheers

MC
Matt Crowhurst
Able Rate
Able Rate

by mirlyn » 13 Mar 2015, 10:25

Hey everybody. Just registered on the new forum and saw the post from Matt. I thought I would be a bit cheeky and let you all know a couple of things. I run a watersports facility and have known him for a few years. Apart from him being a superb boarder and a first class coach Matt is an all round nice guy too, so anybody who wants to get some really good tuition could do no better than ask him.
Now for the punt. We can offer our 28 acre lake for you to hire for your coaching sessions with him :) or even for you just to come and have some time with your boats on a calm inland site.
20140410_095544.jpeg
20140410_095544.jpeg (230.59 KiB) Viewed 16089 times

Martin (MLINES) will I am sure agree that it is a very different experience having been here a couple of times himself. Glad to see you have got a tower with your new boat Martin. time for some real shredding now :)
If anybody would like to know more, please check us out at http://www.wakeplus.co.uk or you can call me on 07905 362958 when I will be more than happy to chat about the facility we have.
Hope to hear from you guys.
Mike
mirlyn
Able Rate
Able Rate

Joined: 06 Mar 2015, 17:48

by Ianfs » 13 Mar 2015, 13:14

Hi Mike,

Would your lake be in Taplow by any chance.....here for example?

Moored at Taplow Forum size.jpg
Moored at Taplow Forum size.jpg (114.74 KiB) Viewed 16085 times

Return to Towing (Ski's, Wakeboard etc) Forum