  • In total there are 2 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 2 guests (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
  • Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

Trailer and Tow Vehicle Forum

Sorento

by betty boop » 08 May 2015, 07:58

_Ed_ wrote:
betty boop wrote:excuse my silly question but is that on auto's only? only I had the same on the passat 6 speed TDi manual and wondered what is was

Dual mass flywheels are manual only. And much more common in diesels.

ah i thought we were talking sorento Auto, D'OH. makes sense now. so yes my passat must have a DMF hence the burning when I tow with a load under strain i.e. slip way- Probably the Pathfinder too as it smells sometimes in low gear on steep hills and ramps but the clutch is generally sh#t from what Ive read and was redesigned by Nissan for contanst failures and she may be going anyway.

newish tow car to cut our losses and save on fuel a bit, wont be looking at sorento did think about Mitsu Outlander?
betty boop
RNLI Hero
RNLI Hero

by argonaut » 08 May 2015, 08:51

Almost all diesel SUV built in last 10 yrs will have a DMF .. as well many cars.

The standard clutch was not smooth enough for 'soft Roader' .. so the DMF was designed to be acne to absorb the high torque on clutch changes at low revs.

It does it well ... except when a loaded trailer attached .. many manufacturers have clutch slip & overheating - strong smell of burning.
Results in early clutch failure which is not covered under warranty ...and £1000 + repair bill.
Do a Google on DMF clutch burning.
FourWinns H210, Volvo 280-C-N duoprop, Monster MTK tower, SBS 2600 twin axle trailer
Tow Vehicle - Landrover Discovery Sport
User avatar
argonaut

Previous