Trailer and Tow Vehicle Forum

Bunk trailers ....

by Carl » 10 Apr 2015, 18:04

Following on from my other post about the ditch at the bottom of the Poly steps slipway in Teignmouth, ...

One of the runners on Vonny's trailer had shifted. .. I've tightened it back up as best I can but she's still not sat right :(

Question is ........... Where is the best position to have the runners. .. is it better for them to be near the centre ... or out towards the edges ??

There is quite a bit of adjustment left on the runner legs ...

Image

hopefully that pic will make my query a bit clearer ....

And are they better at the rear of the trailer or nearer the centre
Carl .. Bayliner 175gt "Annamarie"
Carl

Joined: 29 Jan 2015, 14:04
Location: Devon, UK

by Ianfs » 13 Apr 2015, 12:58

Sorry you have had no replies Carl. I'll try to help but I'm not sure if I am right or not.
I owned a bunk trailer years ago but have had rollers since so bear with me. I always thought that bunks were in place to balance the boat therefore as far out / apart as reasonably possible taking into account spray strakes etc. I would therefore have them at approx 75 % of the beam at the chine. Mine had centre rollers which the keel sat on which took about 80% of the weight and then 20% on the bunks. The bunks should finish at the Transom not further forward.
Also, if necessary, it may require some more to be fitted, smaller ones closer together, in order to centre the boat when retrieving.

by betty boop » 14 Apr 2015, 07:57

HiCarl

Ive got the same trailer and boat too I think and its a real pain. the bunks are adjusted more than once a year. not sure if its the SBS design but once they slip they keep slipping time and time again, A real pain in the ............

Ive had them set low and high, (excuse the technical language, or lack of it) too low and she rocks side to side on the centre roller but is easy to launch, to high and she sits flat on the bunks and is pushed way deep into the water to float her off.

Best I found is to have the keel just on the centre roll but with the weight on the bunks. The rubber centre roller will be crushed if its not already and al but useless as a roller but under weight it should just roll off as long as the resistance from the bunks isnt too great. I lowered the bunks completely then trolley jacked each support just enough to raise the keel and take the load. Jacking the front support slightly more to allow for the hull profile (helps her slide off).

Then you get into the whole arguement of greasing the bunks and whats best or lining them with low resistant materials plastic or silicon and/or replacing the centre roller with nylon rollers.

in summery - I dont like my SBS bunk trailer but I have heard bunks are better than rollers for support. hope that helps :D
betty boop
RNLI Hero
RNLI Hero

by Carl » 18 Apr 2015, 09:25

Sorry for the late reply ..... have been on holiday.. ...

Arrrr ... Bettyboop, that's the kind of reply I wanted to read ... thank you :D

So basically then it's a case of mucking about with it until I'm happy. :lol:
Carl .. Bayliner 175gt "Annamarie"
Carl

Joined: 29 Jan 2015, 14:04
Location: Devon, UK

by betty boop » 20 Apr 2015, 08:07

no prob :D

yeah basically, this year I must get round to drilling the support bar for a pin to stop the bunk dropping past the bracket. Ive torqued up the 2 retaining bolts to the max and they still seem to let the support bar slip back under the weight. first pot hole or speed bump and the boat sags on one side of ther trailer and starts to rock left to right. Pain in the a'''s

major trailer servicing year this year, brakes cables n all - :roll:
betty boop
RNLI Hero
RNLI Hero

by Carl » 20 Apr 2015, 20:05

Good luck with that .... Thankfully my trailer was fully serviced a couple of weeks before we bought her .....

I have now moved the bunks out further, and tightened the bolts as much as they will go without stripping the thread.
was kind of awkward with Vonny still on the trailer though ... lol .... will take some tools with me next time she is launched in case the bunks need shifting again.
Carl .. Bayliner 175gt "Annamarie"
Carl

Joined: 29 Jan 2015, 14:04
Location: Devon, UK

by betty boop » 21 Apr 2015, 08:13

Carl wrote:Good luck with that .... Thankfully my trailer was fully serviced a couple of weeks before we bought her .....

I have now moved the bunks out further, and tightened the bolts as much as they will go without stripping the thread.
was kind of awkward with Vonny still on the trailer though ... lol .... will take some tools with me next time she is launched in case the bunks need shifting again.

totally agree - bare knuckle time with her on the trailer. :evil:
betty boop
RNLI Hero
RNLI Hero

Return to Trailer and Tow Vehicle Forum