• Boat Banter

It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 22:40

Trailer and Tow Vehicle Forum

Do you need advice on TRAILERS/TOWING

by sylvo » 20 Jan 2020, 09:12

I am new to the forum, if anyone needs any mechanical advice on trailers/maintenance/repair/parts or safe and legal towing by all means give me a shout.

I am a retired Police officer, after retirement I owned a factory doing welding/fabrication and made trailers (long story) also gained a lot of knowledge on USA trailers. After selling the business I started a mobile trailer service and repair company to keep myself busy (all trailer types private and commercial) it went ballistic. I had to pack it up due to a back injury (now better but still a bit dodgy if I lift too much). I also served on the committee of the national trailer and towing association and was a quality assured member whilst running the business.

From experience trailers are often taken for granted and maintenance ignored, it can be very costly and they can be very dangerous on the public roads. People have been killed. In a nut shell they should be immaculate and always in tip top condition. Hope I can be of help.

Regards
Sylvo
sylvo
Able Rate
Able Rate

Joined: 12 Dec 2019, 13:12

by betty boop » 24 Jan 2020, 14:32

Welcome - Always good to declare an association with he boys in blue. ;)

There was chatter a while ago with confusion over the tyres on trailers, one of mine blew out on the M5 3 months into a 2nd boat. AA told me they are age rated on 4 wheel trailers, - since had them all replaced but the Valves has since raised its head - do they have high pressure valves? or is that a myth. As it happens one of my new tyres now has a spilt valve, I havent rushed to repair it over winter but interested in your opinion. back st garage for a new off the shelf valve or somewhere special with half intelligence to know it is special?
betty boop
RNLI Hero
RNLI Hero

by sylvo » 01 Feb 2020, 13:31

Sorry for delay, need to check settings as don't get email notifications with any responses.

Yes trailer tyres are often higher pressure, it usually says on the tyre wall. Always a good idea to fit quality valves.

Tyres perishing on trailers is a massive problem. Mainly because they are not used enough, so the chemical in the rubber that promotes longevity does not kick in so much. Often they are stood and are exposed to UV rays which also makes them perish quicker. On average little used trailers such as boat trailers or horse trailers last about 3/4 years. The tell tale signs are numerous small cracks appearing on the tyre wall...sometimes you do not see many on the outer wall, but when they come off it is worse on the inner wall. Have seen many that have just exploded. Most people just do not think about and believe that if the tread is good then the tyre must be OK. More often than not the tyres perish before the tread wears.

If you google perishing tyres some quite good articles come up. Hope that helps.
sylvo
Able Rate
Able Rate

Joined: 12 Dec 2019, 13:12