• Boat Banter

It is currently 18 Apr 2024, 15:27

Trailer and Tow Vehicle Forum

RWD cars for towing

by ChrisH » 17 Jun 2017, 18:36

Any experience out there towing and recovering your boat with a RWD car. I'm looking to change cars. Have a 4x4 R class right now and never had any problems recovering and considering a BMW 5 series GT. Boat and trailer plus stuff is probably close to 2000kg
Thanks

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
User avatar
ChrisH

by Ianfs » 18 Jun 2017, 08:39

I towed for a few years with an old 7 series E32 3.0l, but trailer and load we only 1600kgs against a towing capacity of 2100kgs, so I had a bit of room.

Towing was great although on bumpy roads it did bounce the rear a bit. Launch and recovery was surprisingly good although limiting, depending upon the type or state of the ramp.

by betty boop » 19 Jun 2017, 07:28

we recover with a kia sorrnto with the 4x4 disengaged (long story as to why) so RWD only - no real problems , she pulls & launches etc 2.3T in RWD /Auto OK hasnt had any issues I can think of. There are of course other issues that I wont go into :lol:
betty boop
RNLI Hero
RNLI Hero

by ChrisH » 19 Jun 2017, 11:02

Does she grip okish when the slip is slimy?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
User avatar
ChrisH

by ChrisH » 19 Jun 2017, 11:03

Ianfs wrote:I towed for a few years with an old 7 series E32 3.0l, but trailer and load we only 1600kgs against a towing capacity of 2100kgs, so I had a bit of room.

Towing was great although on bumpy roads it did bounce the rear a bit. Launch and recovery was surprisingly good although limiting, depending upon the type or state of the ramp.

Thanks Ian. Strong rope or takedown strap sounds like a good backup plan. And a better jockey wheel too then is on the cards

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
User avatar
ChrisH

by betty boop » 20 Jun 2017, 07:14

ChrisH wrote:Does she grip okish when the slip is slimy?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

not a problem B/hol weekend on low spring tide Torquay ramp was covered in slime and she pulled up OK slipped a bit but that was extreme, normally I dont even notice the 4x4 system is turned off when launching/recovering.
betty boop
RNLI Hero
RNLI Hero

by ChrisH » 20 Jun 2017, 08:51

Thanks. Will see if I can find myself a GT with towbar then.
Appreciate the feedback guys.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
User avatar
ChrisH

by ChrisH » 03 Aug 2017, 21:52

ChrisH wrote:Thanks. Will see if I can find myself a GT with towbar then.
Appreciate the feedback guys.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Ended up with an Audi A6 Allroad.
Picture taken today at our stopover in France on way to Lake Annecy.Image

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
User avatar
ChrisH

by Centaur » 03 Aug 2017, 22:40

Lake Annecy is lovely - I've been there several times, in summer and winter, although I never got to tow my boat down there. Post some pictures on the water! :D
User avatar
Centaur
Able Rate
Able Rate

by Ianfs » 03 Aug 2017, 23:14

A6 Allroad, was voted best tow car by the Caravan Club.

Here's a Vid taken by Mitch (Modern Family friends of Martin and James Lines) of his trip to Lake Annecy with his SeaRay 19. Now he has a rather posh Cobalt. :D

Next

Return to Trailer and Tow Vehicle Forum