• Boat Banter

It is currently 20 Apr 2024, 08:15

Trailer and Tow Vehicle Forum

Shoreland'r Trailer parts or repair

by Akeap » 08 May 2017, 18:25

Hi

After storing the SeaRay 185 Sport on the trailer over the winter period I have made the decision to sell it as it's just not being used enough as I wakeboard at a local lake and help drive there and want someone who will use the SeaRay properly and frequently.

When arranging to pick the boat up from the storage I was told by the guys that the box section or rear part of the the swing away tongue has rusted away underneath the winch post. Seems to have deteriorated quickly too!

This means it cannot be towed and doesn't seem strong enough to even rest on the jockey wheel so is being supported by axle stands :o

Anyway, I did have someone lined up to fix/weld the trailer but hes no longer available for many weeks and I have been trying to contact someone who he referred me to but still no joy in getting him to go and have a look and confirm price let alone arrange a day to carry out the work.

I contacted shoreland'r direct in the USA but they say I would have to buy a whole new swing away tongue setup for $600 + another $300 shipping!! :(

So I was wondering if anyone knows of a good and reliable boat trailer person that might be able to carry out the work in the Southampton area? Either thay might know of alternative tongue setup (doesn't need to be swing away) or be able to "fix"/re-enforce the box section to bring it back to being safe to be used.

thanks
Akeap
Able Rate
Able Rate

Joined: 19 Aug 2015, 15:42

by Ianfs » 09 May 2017, 21:26

Sorry I didn't answer this sooner.

My experience of trailers, which require parts, is not to go to a trailer shop. That said, you would want to go to somewhere that would make a really good professional and safe job or better, of the repair.

Without seeing the job itself or photos for that matter, I have to guess the box section has corroded and the draw bar requires attention. As it's a Sea Ray 185, it will require overrun braking. consequently you will have to keep the tow hitch and management system intact.

Again without photos, I would guess that if someone could weld in a box section, giving you a rigid draw bar, this would be suitable?

Why don't you try these guys? I have no association with them but they seem to be able to do small jobs in your area. :D

http://www.mercuryweldingandfabrication.co.uk/

by ChrisH » 09 May 2017, 22:01

Try Tony
http://www.mobiletrailerservicing.co.uk/my_story.html

He used to own the business building trailers for indespension.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
User avatar
ChrisH

by betty boop » 10 May 2017, 07:42

Ianfs wrote:Sorry I didn't answer this sooner.

My experience of trailers, which require parts, is not to go to a trailer shop. That said, you would want to go to somewhere that would make a really good professional and safe job or better, of the repair.

http://www.mercuryweldingandfabrication.co.uk/

funny you should say that I asked our local (but Large) trailer builder if he carried our trailer repairs yesterday - I need an arm welded to make my winch post into an A frame. - They almost threw me out of the shop at the prospect of working on 'someone elses' trailer, Personally I would have thought business is business and Im happy they are busy enough to turn away money but it would have been nicer if the owner wasnt so rude about it though.
betty boop
RNLI Hero
RNLI Hero

by Akeap » 10 May 2017, 10:37

Thanks for the replies

I have talked to Tony at mobile trailer servicing and sent him photos and description and hes taking a look at the info. But he might not be able to fit me in as hes busy and galvanising process might take 3-4 weeks.

So if there was someone local to Southampton then I would try and engage with them... problem will be that the boat is still on the trailer and cannot be moved without the tongue/draw bar working..

I would opt for a new trailer but I have just had new bearing, brakes, cables and drawbar fitted then so it's mainly in great nick! Once sorted boat will be for sale.

Below are pictures of the box section and where it attaches to the trailer frame and the swing tongue.

I think overall the swing away tongue is a 65" length, 5" x 4" box section (seems to be a problem size) the rear box section is 47" long. Haven't measured it but assumes the thickness of steel is probably 2-3mm?

http://www.dropbox.com/s/lszk0214d5h2mv4/IMG_2979.JPG?dl=0

http://www.dropbox.com/s/88ckpt7p7tzwdz7/IMG_2980.JPG?dl=0
Akeap
Able Rate
Able Rate

Joined: 19 Aug 2015, 15:42

by lewlew100 » 19 May 2017, 18:43

I would have thought that ANY decent steel fabricator would be able to copy that draw bar if you remove it which should not be too difficult as you already have it well supported (make sure you have blocked the wheels). Getting it galvaniised will probably mean shopping around a bit. Sad how such a nice looking trailer has been got at by the dreaded tin worm. As this corrosion is almost certainly from the inside obviously you do not really know where that worm may strike again. Good luck. Geoff.
lewlew100

Joined: 29 Dec 2016, 13:02

by Akeap » 25 May 2017, 08:14

Well just a quick update, I managed to speak to a fabricator near drivers boat yard where the boat was and he made up a box section for me. Had to move the winch post slightly but all is good now and managed to take the boat home ready to clean, polish and wax and general clean from the dust etc landing on it in boat yard.

Thanks for all the suggestions and help :)
Akeap
Able Rate
Able Rate

Joined: 19 Aug 2015, 15:42

by Ianfs » 22 Jun 2017, 10:35

I hope you've now managed to take advantage of this beautiful weather? :)

Return to Trailer and Tow Vehicle Forum