  • In total there are 4 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 4 guests (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
  • Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests

Trailer and Tow Vehicle Forum

submersible trailer boards

by betty boop » 24 Apr 2017, 15:19

Did anyone ever get a waterproof trailer board set up? I need to rebuild my board at 6 foot its a ball ache taking it off every time with such a long cable, in the past I tried options but never get one that is legal and adequate. RibNet guys came up with LED lights on the wheel arches but they are still illegal with no number plate lights etc.

Wondering what everyone else does to save dirty hands and a dirty light board through the middle of a nice clean car?
betty boop
RNLI Hero
RNLI Hero

by Ianfs » 24 Apr 2017, 18:45

Rather than trying to source an item which hasn't been developed, tried and tested fully yet, what about thinking about some sort of quick release system? Just saying! :)

by betty boop » 25 Apr 2017, 07:47

indeed, we are thinking - its been 8 years and still no workable solution that covers all bases.

removal of the cable, - it could be fixed permanently to the trailer ' plug both ends but how to make the ends waterproof as 1 will be submerged.

but that still leaves the 6' board to store in the car, which causes a lot of agro as it's too long and spans gear lever to boot lid across the back seats.

:lol:
betty boop
RNLI Hero
RNLI Hero

by ColinR » 25 Apr 2017, 13:11

Waterproof cable connectors can be obtained

For example

https://www.amazon.co.uk/KKmoon-Waterpr ... 3WNFYQR0S5

Image

The trailer board could be hinged in the middle to shorted it fro storage?

http://uktrailerlights.co.uk/folding-li ... -109-p.asp
User avatar
ColinR
All round Jolly Good Chap
All round Jolly Good Chap

Location: Hampshire, England

by betty boop » 26 Apr 2017, 07:24

thanks Colin- the price of the boards is a little OTT but Im sure I can sort something to be similar.
betty boop
RNLI Hero
RNLI Hero

by betty boop » 26 Apr 2017, 08:15

what about the law? Ive searched online but cant find regulation on the positioning of the trailer board or lights in relation to the length/end of the trailer/boat. lights have a height and width min/max but no distance from the end/over hang.?

& I always thought height had to be at wheel level but boats are exempt if positioning is not possible and the max height increases to 1900mm, guess thats why RIB users hang boards on the A frame?
betty boop
RNLI Hero
RNLI Hero

by Ianfs » 26 Apr 2017, 08:44

Like you Ian, the last time I looked for definitive boat trailing regs., it was a challenge to find details all in one place. For example, trailers of a certain length must gave side reflectors, but boat trailers are exempt.

I've come to the conclusion that the average traffic policeman doesn't have every boat trailing regulation to hand and with all the other millions of other vehicle and traffic regs., the odd one of which, on the off chance they see with say a board too high or not wide enough, as long as it looks safe they let it go as OK.

by betty boop » 27 Apr 2017, 08:52

Ianfs wrote:Like you Ian, the last time I looked for definitive boat trailing regs., it was a challenge to find details all in one place. For example, trailers of a certain length must gave side reflectors, but boat trailers are exempt.

I've come to the conclusion that the average traffic policeman doesn't have every boat trailing regulation to hand and with all the other millions of other vehicle and traffic regs., the odd one of which, on the off chance they see with say a board too high or not wide enough, as long as it looks safe they let it go as OK.

my thoughts entirely Ian, Traffic cops 'the only ones with expert knowledge' are too busy issuing speeding tickets.

My only dielema is now
A - build a folding / hinged trailer board (very easy) and still remove the cable the full length of the trailer each launch so its easy to store
or
B, buy 'waterproof' LED lights from Ebay £20 and wire up a sealed wiring loom with lights on Galv sheet plates bolted to the unused footsteps on the rear of the trailer and a fixed number plate somewhere else. I am tempted with this but really dont know how long 'waterproof' lights will last when dunked
betty boop
RNLI Hero
RNLI Hero

Return to Trailer and Tow Vehicle Forum