Boat Maintenance & Repair Forum

Vinyl repair

by ChrisH » 05 Mar 2016, 18:03

Has anyone found a vinyl glue that is suitable for sticking a small tear together on a seat. I can find a few online but don't know what will happen to them when exposed to the elements and UV.
User avatar
ChrisH

by Ianfs » 05 Mar 2016, 19:38

I looked at this a few years ago and remembered there was a glue produced called something like Vinyl Weld, but unfortunately never found it. The best I came up with was something with Cyanoacrylate in it (Super glue) but had to be set with a separate solution, still didn't work successfully.

Time has moved on a little so someone may come up with something. :)

by Bigplumbs » 06 Mar 2016, 09:04

Be carful with Cyno (Superglue) as it will melt the foam in the seat like nobodies business

Dennis
Bigplumbs

Joined: 09 Dec 2014, 22:35

by ChrisH » 06 Mar 2016, 09:21

Thanks guys. Does anyone know technically what it is in adhesives that turns yellow over time. If I know this I can perhaps avoid those ones.
User avatar
ChrisH

by NikTheGeek » 06 Mar 2016, 18:04

Superglue is also not waterproof and breaks down in a damp environment...
Bayliner 160: Narada
ʞǝǝbǝɥʇʞıu/ɯoɔ˙ɹǝʇʇıʍʇ
ɹǝzʇןǝɯsʞıu/ɯoɔ˙ʞooqǝɔɐɟ
User avatar
NikTheGeek

Location: Wigan

by shibbs » 06 Mar 2016, 22:24

Hi, i made a repair with glue to a small nick in one of my seats last year and so far it had worked well. I'm pretty sure the glue i got for it is still on the boat so will have a look this week when im down there and update.. :)

by betty boop » 07 Mar 2016, 09:42

search shoe goo on eBay. comes in tiny tubes for one off repairs to vinyl sneakers but works just as good elsewhere. I didn't buy it but bought a knock off on eBay for vinyl and neoprene etc. worked really well for what I needed (waterproofing dried & split Timberland boots) and ShoeGoo is even better.
betty boop

by ChrisH » 07 Mar 2016, 13:29

Thanks all. I'll have a look for shoe glue.
User avatar
ChrisH

by SpiD » 20 Mar 2016, 07:53

Check Casco's Liquisole. Might do it.
SpiD

Return to Boat Maintenance & Repair Forum