  • In total there are 2 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 2 guests (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
  • Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

Boat Maintenance & Repair Forum

Antifoul

by Doc Oakley » 24 May 2015, 15:19

Hi everyone.

Any suggestions on antifouling paints? Getting a bit tired of mauling the trailer about (must be age...) and have an option to use a mooring now and then - might leave the boat on the water for up to a couple of weeks I guess...now before anyone says 'that won't need antifoul', think again! I once left a Dell Quay Eurosport 15 in Conwy Marina for 2 weeks and...well, let's just say there was a lot of hard work required!

I guess my question more specifically is 'which antifoul paint for a sportsboat?' - a lot of the yacht antifouls have a maximum speed rating and I wondered if anyone knew of a high(er) speed type.

Cheers

Simon.
Bonwitco 385/Evinrude E-Tec 25; Wetline 265/Honda 5
Doc Oakley
Able Rate
Able Rate

Location: North Worcestershire

by mlines » 24 May 2015, 16:18

Couple of weeks only , don't bother. I know you had problems but anti fouling is worse than cleaning. Make sure it has a good coat of polish.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
Regal 2250 - "Witch Way" - MMSI:235073628
My Regal 2250
User avatar
mlines

Location: Wokingham, Berkshire

by shibbs » 24 May 2015, 19:22

+ 1, if it's only in for a little while why not just pull the boat out on its trailer once in the middle to give it a jet wash.
It's my worse job of the year to anti foul, I hate it!!
And it looks horrible when out of the water!
Will look later for the type I use if you like though...

by Doc Oakley » 12 Aug 2018, 16:11

Just to belatedly add to this...I left the little boat on a swinging mooring for 10 days this July and...nothing grew at all! The mooring does dry and the boat takes the ground easily. I think, maybe, that in marinas where the water is more static and doesn't dry out that growth of the marine type is more likely. Certainly, I won't be applying any antifoul based on this experience.

Cheers

Simon.
Bonwitco 385/Evinrude E-Tec 25; Wetline 265/Honda 5
Doc Oakley
Able Rate
Able Rate

Location: North Worcestershire

Return to Boat Maintenance & Repair Forum