  • In total there are 10 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 10 guests (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
  • Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 10 guests

Boat Maintenance & Repair Forum

Hydraulic steering conversion

by NickT » 01 Apr 2015, 20:20

Hi All,

The steering on my Fletcher 19 has been very stiff since I bought the boat in 2013. I have greased all the points on the outboard and regularly turn the steering when laid up over winter.

I suspect that in the cold weather the grease stays stiff which doesn't help matters.

Coming alongside a pontoon is exciting when I have to go lock to lock!!

So.....

I thought I would invest in hydraulic steering as the existing tilt tube can remain and the actuator sits in the tilt tube and just connects to the arm on the outboard.

I've seen a few vids on Youtube and it looks quite strait-forward.

Does anyone have experience of a cable to hydraulic conversion and suitable tips please?

This is the sort of thing I am considering:-

http://www.force4.co.uk/teleflex-baysta ... RxTA_nF9zg

Thanks
NickT
Chief Petty Officer
Chief Petty Officer

Joined: 04 Dec 2014, 19:56
Location: Southampton, Hamble River

by mlines » 01 Apr 2015, 21:16

Have you tried changing the cable, see my post from earlier this week
Regal 2250 - "Witch Way" - MMSI:235073628
My Regal 2250
User avatar
mlines

Location: Wokingham, Berkshire

by NickT » 13 Mar 2016, 22:43

Hi All,

I have now removed the 15 year old rack and pinion steering cable and helm from the boat.

I was thinking of just replacing it like for like but I have realised that the tilt tube and hole in the boat where the cable exits are not in line.

I suspect that the end bit was therefore bent when it was installed which actually caused the steering to be stiff in the first place.

So I am going to fit a hydraulic system as the tubes are flexible and won't mind being bent a bit.

Does anyone know of a system that allows the engine to fully tilt please?

The teleflex baystar system mentions a tilt accessory but I can't find details online.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=force ... 7919956590

Thanks
NickT
Chief Petty Officer
Chief Petty Officer

Joined: 04 Dec 2014, 19:56
Location: Southampton, Hamble River

by Ianfs » 14 Mar 2016, 14:53

Hi Nick

Does anyone know of a system that allows the engine to fully tilt please?

The teleflex baystar system mentions a tilt accessory but I can't find details online.

The tilt option is for the steering wheel tilt. :)

Not sure about the engine tilt though.

Hopefully someone else will be along soon to steer you in the right direction.....(excuse the pun, not intended at all, but I'll get my hat just the same :mrgreen: )

by SpiD » 20 Mar 2016, 08:03

If I understand you right the uncertainty is about tilting the engine up after converting to hydraulic?

When the ram is fitted it will allow the tilt simply by te way it is fitted..
Several vids on the web, covering many brands but basically same design re. tilting

See at 3:00 onwards

and this one fro m 2:35
SpiD
Able Rate
Able Rate

Return to Boat Maintenance & Repair Forum