• Boat Banter

It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 05:23
  • View new posts
  • View unanswered posts
  • Who is online
  • In total there are 7 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 7 guests (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
  • Most users ever online was 1736 on 21 Nov 2020, 15:51
  • Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests

Boat Maintenance & Repair Forum

Polishing

by shibbs » 17 May 2020, 19:51

Went down to check her over this afternoon and she is in desperate need of a really good polish. I normally do it by hand before she goes in for the season but am wondering if I need to bite the bullet and get the professionals in.
Can anyone advise what sort of price I’d be looking at?
25 ft, topside only ( she’s anti fouled under)
Also, any recommendations of who, Portsmouth / Southampton ( hopefully for not much longer though) area.

Or, is it easy enough with an electric buffer to bring it back?
Stu

Princess 286 Riviera
Twin Volvo Penta AD41’s
shibbs
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

by ChrisH » 17 May 2020, 19:55

Stu have done my old bowrider myself before, but last year used a local, felt like a big job. Was 350 for mine. Clean, polish, wax, all bright work, canopy and cockpit.

Was happy with them and would use again, but had another recommendation , new to the area, and he is quoting me tomorrow

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
ChrisH
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

by ChrisH » 17 May 2020, 19:56

Electric buffer is quite easy to use.

ChrisH
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

by Ianfs » 18 May 2020, 20:52

Hi Shibbs

For me if its topsides and hull sides from anti foul to gunwales I would get a buffer and do it yourself. I like Meguiars polishes and cutting compounds but I'm sure there are many others just as good.
Ianfs
Captain
Captain

by ChrisH » 18 May 2020, 21:08

Ianfs wrote:Hi Shibbs

For me if its topsides and hull sides from anti foul to gunwales I would get a buffer and do it yourself. I like Meguiars polishes and cutting compounds but I'm sure there are many others just as good.
+1 for meguiars

ChrisH
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

by shibbs » 19 May 2020, 20:22

Thanks for the replies. I think your right, think I was just being a bit lazy, more the fact that I don’t have the boat I think.
I think I will just put a day aside when ( if ) she ever comes back and get to it.
Think I will need to watch some videos or do some research on how to do it with a buffer though as I’ve no idea what goes on when and for how long.
Very hard work by hand! :roll:
Stu

Princess 286 Riviera
Twin Volvo Penta AD41’s
shibbs
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

by Ianfs » 20 May 2020, 11:57

There are loads of Vids for this sort of thing as I'm sure you already know but I like this one from Nick Burnham. They only do a small section at a time but it is fairly in depth.

Ianfs
Captain
Captain

by shibbs » 23 May 2020, 18:43

Well I got on and did it, but the bullet and got myself an electric buffer and spent the day yesterday cutting back and shining up. Really please with the result.
I think I will make a point of another coat when I get the time but it’s really transformed it. Really pleased,
Unfortunately the pictures don’t do it justice I don’t think, because of the colour I’m imagining, but see what you think.

Next job, I’d really like to get my Draco decals and stripes replaced but have no idea where would still do them. Imagine to get some made won’t be cheap..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Stu

Princess 286 Riviera
Twin Volvo Penta AD41’s
shibbs
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

by shibbs » 23 May 2020, 18:44

Well I got on and did it, but the bullet and got myself an electric buffer and spent the day yesterday cutting back and shining up. Really please with the result.
I think I will make a point of another coat when I get the time but it’s really transformed it. Really pleased,
Unfortunately the pictures don’t do it justice I don’t think, because of the colour I’m imagining, but see what you think.

Next job, I’d really like to get my Draco decals and stripes replaced but have no idea where would still do them. Imagine to get some made won’t be cheap..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Stu

Princess 286 Riviera
Twin Volvo Penta AD41’s
shibbs
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

by ChrisH » 23 May 2020, 22:07

Nice job stu. Looks great.
Gave mine a good clean today. Was filthy, but no polish yet

ChrisH