  • In total there are 3 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 3 guests (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
  • Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests

Boat Maintenance & Repair Forum

Advice Boat Bungs

by sylvo » 12 Dec 2019, 15:55

Advice please. I have a newly refurbished 13' orkney style spinner, great boat mainly used for fishing. I am in the process of kitting it out. It has two bungs either side of the keel inside on the hull, about midway, both are plastic and the thread insert protrudes so not easy for water to drain. It also means I have to get under the boat and screw the bungs in each trip. It is not a great concern as will never ship much water (only use on the none tidal Thames), however they would be handy for swilling/washing the boat out. My idea is to replace these with stainless bungs but insert from the inside, that way they will be flush with the hull inside and make it easier to screw the bungs in and flsuh water out.

Does anyone see a problem with this. Sorry to be so nurdy just like to get things right so worth checking with experts.

I am obliged for any comments.
sylvo
Able Rate
Able Rate

Joined: 12 Dec 2019, 13:12

by betty boop » 12 Dec 2019, 19:28

not really - I assume they are a self draining cockpit same as mine just harder to get to. I cap mine every trip out tidal and non tidal (mostly river Ouze and Thames) BUT you have to check it doesnt fill up or take a wave, I have a funny story of taking 2 over the bow and slowly sinking with a floating father. :lol: :lol: as long as you remember/act you should be alright.

and even the flush fit drainers dont empty very well either because of the raised rim.
betty boop
RNLI Hero
RNLI Hero

by Ianfs » 16 Dec 2019, 16:31

Sorry to be so nurdy just like to get things right so worth checking with experts.

Absolutely not nerdy at all, in fact most people on here are similar.

I would have to take a look at the bungs your talking about but as a reference most drain bungs are plugged on the outside because of water pressure. The idea as I understand it is that if they work slightly loose, the water pressure wont force them to work even looser and fly out like a bullet into the boat. I cant see it happening myself if the bungs are properly installed.

Return to Boat Maintenance & Repair Forum