Boat Maintenance & Repair Forum

Steam cleaning

by ChrisH » 12 Apr 2019, 14:08

Any thoughts on using a domestic steam cleaner for vinyl upholstery and top sides?

I saw it somewhere on YouTube and looked to work really well. Did not appear to cause any damage. Quick blast of steam and wipe off the muck with a microfiber cloth.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
User avatar
ChrisH

by shibbs » 13 Apr 2019, 19:36

I've not done it myself but don't really see what damage it could do? If i had a steam cleaner i'd give it a go!

Let us know if you try it..

Oh, and the anti bac wipes at the end of last season worked a treat!!! :D ;)

by betty boop » 14 Apr 2019, 17:24

I have a heavy duty 'domestic' karcher steam cleaner, Ive tried it but not with such great results I do it every year theres always a spray and wipe that works just as good, but if you have one go for it - dont use it on vanished tables is my one advise - lesson learnt the hard way :oops: . , definately used it on the engine - no good what so ever, just moved the muck around. so I gave up. I was expecting a sparkling grease free block but was very disappointed. :lol:
betty boop
RNLI Hero
RNLI Hero

by ChrisH » 14 Apr 2019, 17:32

betty boop wrote:I have a heavy duty 'domestic' karcher steam cleaner, Ive tried it but not with such great results I do it every year theres always a spray and wipe that works just as good, but if you have one go for it - dont use it on vanished tables is my one advise - lesson learnt the hard way :oops: . , definately used it on the engine - no good what so ever, just moved the muck around. so I gave up. I was expecting a sparkling grease free block but was very disappointed.
Hmm thanks. That's disappoint to hear. I've got 2. A bigger one for wallpaper stripping but has other attachments, and a smaller more portable one for hard floors that breaks down to a small hand held device. I'll take that down and give it a go. Will update on results.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
User avatar
ChrisH

by ChrisH » 14 Apr 2019, 17:32

shibbs wrote:I've not done it myself but don't really see what damage it could do? If i had a steam cleaner i'd give it a go!

Let us know if you try it..

Oh, and the anti bac wipes at the end of last season worked a treat!!! :D ;)
Good to know the wipes worked ok

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
User avatar
ChrisH

Return to Boat Maintenance & Repair Forum