• Boat Banter

It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 03:44
  • In total there are 3 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 3 guests (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
  • Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests

Boat Maintenance & Repair Forum

Removing seat off pedastel

by argonaut » 03 Jun 2017, 18:22

This is a minor question - but could save work.

I have a Monterey 194FS
It has the pedestal type helm seat that will rotate, and also slide fwd or back.
It is the sliding fwd that is the issue .... slide seat into position - push down seat slide locking arm .. and all OK until you hit a wake when it releases and slides to fully back position. (annoying and also a bit unsafe)

I thought easy enough - maybe adjustment, or a latching spring or something .... assumed I would lift seat assembly of pedastel (leaving deck fitting & post in place) and have a look at this in my garage.
Tried releasing drag control ... no luck .. won't lift up & off which is what I expected.
There is a black plastic square pieces (about 3/4" / 3/4") at base of the seating casting which will rotate if you move it - but have no idea what that is for - again did not help remove seat.

I failed to get the thing off, can anyone tell me how to lift the seat off the pedestal.
Pic from manual of seat type attached .
Anybody removed one of these ?

Option is I unscrew seat base from seat assembly - but would not expect to have to do that.

Image
FourWinns H210, Volvo 280-C-N duoprop, Monster MTK tower, SBS 2600 twin axle trailer
Tow Vehicle - Landrover Discovery Sport
User avatar
argonaut

by ChrisH » 04 Jun 2017, 16:56

Interested in the answer too. Tried to take mine off and could not figure it out either. I want to replace the foam on the passenger seat.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
User avatar
ChrisH

by argonaut » 04 Jun 2017, 18:46

Got is sorted ....

Needs two of you .... remove the drag adjuster (T nut) .. one person then pulls the seat straight up from above ... while the other swivels out the small black plastic block.
This is a bit like a locking cam ... spring loaded into the lock position.

The fault was that at the end of the seat slide rack there is a dog leg spring that sits in the aluminium runners ... that provides the spring pressure to keep lever in locked position.

It had popped up above the rail, supposed to be held in place by a large diameter plastic washer and a stainless washer - with an adjuster nut - guess there was just too much free play on the nut and it popped out.

To re-fix - drive out cotter pin of the rack at the spring end that allows you to remove the seat assembly boss plate ... the rack can then be angled off enough to pop spring back in place - then reassemble,

Guess would have cost a chunk of money at a workshop - took about 2 Hrs in total.

Could do it again in 30mins.
FourWinns H210, Volvo 280-C-N duoprop, Monster MTK tower, SBS 2600 twin axle trailer
Tow Vehicle - Landrover Discovery Sport
User avatar
argonaut

Return to Boat Maintenance & Repair Forum