  • In total there are 11 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 11 guests (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
  • Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 11 guests

Boat Maintenance & Repair Forum

Edge Sealant around Helm

by Akeap » 25 May 2017, 08:21

Hi

I apologise if I use the wrong terminology but I was wondering if anyone has experience with replacing the "sealant"? around the helm area that attaches to side of the hull of the boat?

It just looks like bathroom sealant but I would imagine is more resilient to sea water and marine grade?

Mine is starting to get a little black in a few places and would like to clean it up to make everything look nice and new again :)

Is there a procedure to replace or can it be cleaned with a product?
Akeap
Able Rate
Able Rate

Joined: 19 Aug 2015, 15:42

by Ianfs » 25 May 2017, 10:27

Hey Akeap, how you doin?

I doubt the sealer would be common all garden silicon, but having said that nothing surprises me any more when it comes to modern boatbuilding. :D

Sikaflex is good stuff and you can buy cleaner too. 291 is the norm but it is a glue as well, but it will last and is great in a marine environment.

by betty boop » 30 May 2017, 09:53

silkaflex is the best but there is a much cheaper HA6 marine sealant by Bond IT

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/140938448866? ... EBIDX%3AIT

no idea how it compares but it says marine use, sticks like shite to a shovel so it went on my Smart Tabs install last week
betty boop
RNLI Hero
RNLI Hero

by Akeap » 05 Jun 2017, 11:20

HI

Sorry for the late reply, many thanks for the suggestions. Just wanted to make it a little nicer although not bad at the moment. This is in preparation for selling the Sea Ray :( but through lack of use its seems best to sell to someone who can make time to use it as it's a crack boat and in super nick! :D
Akeap
Able Rate
Able Rate

Joined: 19 Aug 2015, 15:42

Return to Boat Maintenance & Repair Forum