• Boat Banter

It is currently 17 Jun 2024, 09:01
  • View new posts
  • View unanswered posts
  • Who is online
  • In total there is 1 user online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 1 guest (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
  • Most users ever online was 1736 on 21 Nov 2020, 15:51
  • Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

Boat Maintenance & Repair Forum

Powered Steering issue

by mlines » 28 Mar 2015, 19:50

During the shakedown cruise James noticed the steering was very hard to turn. It needed two hands to get it turning at all. On these boats it is a power assisted system so clearly something was up with it.
Its not a sophisticated system. A standard car power steering pump feeds pressure through an actuator valve to a bi-directional ram. The actuator is connected to the steering wheel via a cable and directs the pressure to one or the other side of the ram as required by the direction. The cable is also connected to the stern drive steering arm so that in the event of a pressure failure some steering is possible.
A brief check around showed that everything looked ok. The fluid level was correct, the steering was moving the stern drive and the actuator was moving left and right.

The diagram below shows the general set-up

A quick google showed that the failure of the steering following a winter lay up is a comparatively common issue and is down to the steering cable (either corroding or the grease hardening up)

As it is a non-serviceable item on the Regal 2250 the easiest step forward is to change it. The only disconcerting aspect for us was that when the old one was disconnected at the actuator end the steering became lovely and loose which was concerning as we felt it should still be stiff if it was the cable. However another quick google showed this to be a common aspect of a bad cable, it feels fine when disconnected at one end.

So we got an engineer to change it. It is a nightmare of a job, the actuator end is hidden behind the engine and the old cable is loomed into the electric loom running down the gunwale. In the end they had to leave the old cable in place with the ends cut off and feed the new one through on its own. For any other Regal 2250 owners who have a rack and pinion set up the cable is a Telflex SSC13417 17ft Rack and Pinion cable (from marinescene.co.uk - thanks guys for the prompt delivery).

The good news is that it is all cured. Its back to flicking the steering with one hand with a super light steering wheel!
Regal 2250 - "Witch Way" - MMSI:235073628
My Regal 2250
mlines
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

by Ianfs » 28 Mar 2015, 20:54

So pleased you got it sorted out and that's an interesting write up.

You would think that boat builders are behind the times by about 40yrs, but when you add that some car manufacturers require a bumper strip down to change a light bulb it becomes even more maddening! :evil:

Would it cost a great deal more if they were to get Stainless Steel steering cables made for production, one would ask?
Ianfs
Captain
Captain

by mlines » 28 Mar 2015, 21:28

Yes, I was convinced on my Disco 2 that the production line started with a front nearside headlamp bulb and everything else was built around it. You used to have to dismantle most of the car to change the bulb and the nearside would blow as regular as clockwork.

It turned out I was almost correct. I had the fortune to visit the production line for the Sport and Disco 4 and they start with....the front inner wheel arch! They build up the front inner arches and suspension mounts which travel along to meet the chassis.

Martin
Regal 2250 - "Witch Way" - MMSI:235073628
My Regal 2250
mlines
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

by _Ed_ » 29 Mar 2015, 12:39

Hopefully modern LED lighting will bring an end to all those bulb issues.. Wont sort out the rusty steering cables however!!
www.aboardmyboat.co.uk - boat projects and stuff!
_Ed_
Elite Engine tuner
Elite Engine tuner

Return to Boat Maintenance & Repair Forum

User Menu