• Boat Banter

It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 08:36
  • In total there are 11 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 11 guests (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
  • Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 11 guests

Motor Boat Forum

Too many projects - not enough time!!!

by lewlew100 » 18 Apr 2017, 22:43

Hi Ian, welcome home. It will be back to reality after your tropical adventures. Yes, it was a bit sad to discover Mistrals engine/leg problems. I was not too concerned about the leg as I had always intended to remove it and replace all the service items, but did not anticipate water getting into the bell housing and starter. The starter has now been repaired/reconditioned, but with the Volvo 280 leg the bearings are in the flywheel housing and engine removal is the usual method to replace them. I have been told that it may be possible to support the rear end of the engine, remove the transom shield and remove the flywheel cover through the transom cutout. Time (not too much I hope) will tell. On a different tack, when you return to work you will notice the that the Sunseeker still has no cover I now have the old tattered cover here and hope to get a new cover made locally using the old one as a pattern. I would not use an old canopy as a template, but I think that will be OK for the cockpit cover. Geoff.
lewlew100

Joined: 29 Dec 2016, 13:02

by BruceK » 19 Apr 2017, 15:23

lewlew100 wrote:The new canopy has now been made and fitted and both the 12V and 240V electrics sorted out and tidied up. Unfortunately on removing the starter motor (I was told it needed cleaning) I discovered that the bell housing has water ingress and that the bearings will therefore be damaged. I have had the starter fully reconditioned, but sadly with the volvo 280 leg it is an engine out job to replace the bearings in the bell housing so my hopes of getting the boat in the water within the next week or so will not happen. Geoff.

Ahh. Bad news mate. If it's any consolation I am on the water but not going anywhere until I find the problem causing me water starvation to the impeller. I have bought new pump and hoses for a small fortune and hoping it's just a pipe collapsing under vacuum or something stupit like mussels or something growing in the lines and jamming up against the steering oil cooler when under vacuum pressure. It's going to be something stupid for sure.
BruceK

by lewlew100 » 19 Apr 2017, 19:37

Hi Bruce - it's no consolation to hear you are still not able to use your boat yet. your problem sounds simple, but elusive. it certainly does sound strange, as you seem to have checked all most obvious likely causes. I presume the reason for the impeller failures is lack of water to the pump, so the overheat problem must be present before the impeller failures, so as you say the problem must be in the supply to the pump. I am sure that you will soon get to the root of the problem, I have always thought that well serviced Volvo legs were quite reliable, but I am now starting to wonder. Good luck with your repair and I hope to hear soon that you have managed to fix it. Geoff.
lewlew100

Joined: 29 Dec 2016, 13:02

by lewlew100 » 22 Apr 2017, 17:04

Although I was told that it is an engine out job to replace the bearings and seals for the short drive shaft (as opposed to the UJ joints which will also need replacing) on my Volvo 280DP leg another person has said that it may be possible to support the back of the engine, remove the leg and transom shield to gain access to the flywheel cover through the the transom hole. Does anyone have any experience of that please? I would rather not remove the engine if possible as it is shoe horned in with very little room for maneuver and will probably mean the removal of the fuel tank. Geoff.
lewlew100

Joined: 29 Dec 2016, 13:02

by lewlew100 » 04 Jun 2017, 08:42

I had hoped to have had MISTRAL in the water by now - We have built new staging (thanks for your great help Ian - BB) on the river Nene at Alwalton and will limit (if) any boating this year to that waterway until we gain more confidence in our Volvo setup. Further investigation has lead me to the conclusion that in order to gain access for engine removal the fuel tank must be removed first!!! The leg has been removed and new service parts ordered (should be here around Wednesday) and the Bellhousing has all of the water removed. In order to try to get afloat I am considering leaving the suspect PDS (jackshaft) in place, introducing about a litre of a diesel/oil mix into the bellhousing and running the engine. Hopefully the spinning flywheel will throw this mix about and wash the bearings/seals. I would then drain this fluid, and try to pump grease into the jackshaft area. If there are no horrible noises from the PDS area I would refit the leg, use the boat at river speeds this summer and remove the engine tank etc. to carry out a proper repair in the winter. Any thoughts please?
In the meantime I have decided that cabin access is too difficult for my little (and old) legs and have made a new set of steps down, now 4 steps instead of 3. this means each step rises 234mm instead of the original 312mm. I intend to fit the steps today, and will post some pics when finished. My next job is going to be to alter the rear bench seating arrangement, divide the full width heavy engine access hatch and fit a small transom door to make general boat access via the bathing platform. Obviously Getting afloat has priority over any modifications. Geoff.
lewlew100

Joined: 29 Dec 2016, 13:02

by betty boop » 04 Jun 2017, 18:51

sounds like a plan Geoff, my suggestion would be to either put it all back together and hope for the best, sorting it out in the winter time, i.e. ignore the water ingress. or (slightly more drastic) big piece of ply over the transom hole, lots of sealant and just use her as a caravan on water for the summer just on the mooring. Otherwise you'll end up in the water about October time and all of 2017 will be lost.

Obviously I know you are a professional and wont pay any attention to my silly suggestions but I thought you may find them amusing :lol: We had our little blow up out in Ferry Meadows and motored to Alwalton lock on Saturday, couldnt be bothered with locking through as I guessed you wouldnt be on the water yet but next time we'll go through and stop for a beer. Project boat canopy isnt going to well at the moment but at least mechanicals seem OK for now.
betty boop
RNLI Hero
RNLI Hero

by lewlew100 » 04 Jun 2017, 20:45

Thanks for your comments Ian. I bet that you and all the other members that attended the rally had a great time - even the weather played ball. Sorry to hear that the canopy arrangement is not yet satisfactory, I'm sure you get there in the end - main thing is your boat and engine performed well.
The water caravan idea is not daft, and is what will happen if the legwash is not successful, but not by blocking the transom hole because the transom shield is still in place!!! If push comes to shove I shall simply refit the leg and tow the water caravan to site. Next weekend , Saturday 8th june is a fun day at Alwalton, and by coincidence a very old friend (I towed his sailing boat from Cobbs Quay to Hamburg in 1967) is visiting for a couple of days, and I hope to visit the club with him. If you find yourselves on the river next Sat. please stop off at the club for a beer. Geoff.
lewlew100

Joined: 29 Dec 2016, 13:02

by lewlew100 » 08 Jun 2017, 12:41

I had a marine diesel engineer over on Tuesday and we carried out the legwash idea. That seems to have worked quite well as we ran the engine (with a good water supply) for over half an hour, the engine ran well and the jackshaft ran true, did not make any uncomfortable noises and remained cool to the touch. The jackshaft has been repacked with grease and a new rear seal fitted. The decision is now made, the leg will get an oil change and the new consumable parts from Volspec have arrived so the leg will be serviced and refitted to the boat. River use only this year, and at seasons end when the boat is back on dry land the fuel tank and engine will be removed and new PDS bearings and seals fitted. I also posted most of this information on the YBW forum as I hoped (and did) that I might glean some information from some poor soul that had experienced similar problems. Geoff.
lewlew100

Joined: 29 Dec 2016, 13:02

by BruceK » 08 Jun 2017, 15:46

Good luck Geoff. Hope what remains of the season is good to you :)
BruceK

by lewlew100 » 08 Jun 2017, 17:49

Thanks Bruce, at least on the river if I do have problems the coastguard will not be required!!! Geoff.
lewlew100

Joined: 29 Dec 2016, 13:02

PreviousNext