Motor Boat Forum

Too many projects - not enough time!!!

by lewlew100 » 18 May 2018, 22:47

Tanks Ianfs. pointy end means Devon/cornwall. Actually Nick (the vendor) was visiting relatives in Bath this weekend and offered to load everything in his small trailer and offered to meet up with me in the Bristol area and loan me his trailer with all the bits loaded on the understanding that I return his trailer on my next trip to the "pointed end". Fantastic of him to do that. That meant that we had a bit more time available so I contacted an old friend (we both started as "tiffies" at HMS Fisgard in January 1959 and have kept in contact since) who is a volunteer tour guide at the Helicopter museum at Locking (WSM) so we booked in to the caravan site at Locking and had a VIP guided tour of the museum - which has the worlds best collection of helicopters and is well worth a visit. Today, prior to meeting up with Nick at Gordano services we spent a few hours on board the SS Great Britain, another really impressive venture. Off to the BC for the weekend tomorrow - no wonder I am always struggling for time for some of my projects. I really would like to try to get my fast fishing boat project on the water this year as although my wife Joyce prefers just to use the rivers, I much prefer the sea and would like to have a bit of fun "zooming" around even though that will probably mean dragging a boat down to the south coast. My last REAL boat trip was in my new Carrera back in 1985 when I toed the boat to Northney Marina, sailed (powered) to Brighton for the night and then on to Fecamp the next day, and sadly not staying over there for too long due to adverse weather conditions being forcast meant an early return. Geoff.
lewlew100
Chief Petty Officer
Chief Petty Officer

Joined: 29 Dec 2016, 13:02

by Ianfs » 19 May 2018, 07:27

Sounds like a great trip. One question...tiffies? Sick bay or Mechanic?
Ianfs
Captain
Captain

by lewlew100 » 20 May 2018, 13:35

Yes Ian, our French trip was most enjoyable and had an experience at the re-fueling pumps that could have never occurred over here. Tiffies means artificers and as apprentices we starteed at HMS Fisgard, Torpoint which was when I met my wife (now of 53 years wedded bliss - for her of course). there were five trades. covering all aspects of engineering. Shipwright (chippies), ERA (engine room artificers), OA(ordinance), AA(aircraft) and EA (electrical). My trade was electrical, but I have probably forgotten more than I learned. With the exception of the chippies we all had the same basic mechanical (fitting, milling, turning etc.) training which was very comprehensive. Geoff.
lewlew100
Chief Petty Officer
Chief Petty Officer

Joined: 29 Dec 2016, 13:02

by lewlew100 » 25 May 2018, 16:48

Managed to get the weeds hacked away from my first (18' fast fisher) yesterday and dragged it out a bit. The trailer had 2 flat tyres (not surprising), one of which is totally ruined. This is a bit sad as 12c tyres are not so readily available nowadays so I may change it to 13" wheels, but I do not want to spend much on that trailer as with a capacity of only 860kg it will not be good enough to use as a road trailer. The boat itself looks fine, but the topsides needs a really good clean. I have an old (circa year 2000), but very clean Mercury 125 hp 2stroke that I bought for it about 3 years ago and hope to get that fitted soon. I will get a few pics posted when I have made some more progress. Geoff.
lewlew100
Chief Petty Officer
Chief Petty Officer

Joined: 29 Dec 2016, 13:02