  • In total there are 7 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 7 guests (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
  • Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests

Motor Boat Forum

Too many projects - not enough time!!!

by lewlew100 » 08 Apr 2018, 11:07

Collected boat from Falmouth and returned yesterday. Weather not the best, but otherwise no real problems. Boat was loaded by vendor, so that made life easy. We stopped at Gloucester services for a couple of hours break and took a couple of photos. Boat hull and SS FG is all quite good (needs a good clean and polish). The VP290 legs seem to be ok, but in need of a good service, clean and antifoul. The cockpit furniture wood is rotten due to the fact that the canopy is shredded and the weather has taken its toll, but that would have all been due for replacement anyway. I am trying to post the pictures, struggling with resize at present so they may have to be posted later. Geoff.
Attachments
DSCI0976 resized.jpg
DSCI0976 resized.jpg (343.16 KiB) Viewed 20210 times
DSCI1797 resized.jpg
DSCI1797 resized.jpg (297.46 KiB) Viewed 20210 times
DSCI1799 resized.jpg
DSCI1799 resized.jpg (361.07 KiB) Viewed 20210 times
DSCI1800 resized.jpg
DSCI1800 resized.jpg (336.26 KiB) Viewed 20210 times
lewlew100

Joined: 29 Dec 2016, 13:02

by Bigplumbs » 08 Apr 2018, 13:27

My goodness does all that lot come in under 3.5 t in weight ?

Dennis
Bigplumbs

Joined: 09 Dec 2014, 22:35

by betty boop » 08 Apr 2018, 17:24

glad you got there in the end Geoff, both boat and post. - looks a lovely beast definitely need to pop over for a tour of boats and camper vans now. Will give you a call sometime soon, Im looking to make a small folding boat table and 2 benches - made of poly whatever its called plastic - cup holders cut in etc. - I managed to get a small router to have a go with but if I knew of someone with a CNC that may be better/easier / quicker :idea: :mrgreen: no rush will catch up sometime in the week hopefully.
betty boop
RNLI Hero
RNLI Hero

by lewlew100 » 08 Apr 2018, 20:55

Hi Dennis, you are quite right that this rig is close to the 3500kg max. The Fairline spec for the Carrera 24 stated 2100kg with a single Volvo Penta175/280 (6 cyl) dry weight. See extracts from the Jones boatyard archives which were copied from the Fairline brochure below. I cut out and pasted the specs on to take up less space rather than trying to copy the full details. We always used to travel with empty fuel/water tanks and carried all stores in the towing vehicle. My trailer (3500kg) has a carrying capacity of 2850kg. the rig tows very nicely, and I suspect that your lovely S24 will probably come in at very similar figures. Should you wish to trail your boat, I would be only too happy to put my trailer at your disposal.
Hi Ian (BB), nice to talk to you today and of course I would be only too pleased to help with your project - as they say - measure twice, cut once - then bin it and CNC it. Geoff.out
Attachments
DSCI1803 RESIZED.jpg
DSCI1803 RESIZED.jpg (254.09 KiB) Viewed 20199 times
DSCI1802 RESIZED.jpg
DSCI1802 RESIZED.jpg (283.59 KiB) Viewed 20199 times
lewlew100

Joined: 29 Dec 2016, 13:02

by lewlew100 » 15 Apr 2018, 16:35

Whilst we were collecting Pebble beach last week our mooring on the river Nene flooded. The waters came up about another 6" after this photo was taken, and reached the top of our staging. We were down at the club yesterday and the water is now receding. Geoff.
Attachments
29594554_2080903778590525_7553000497277233812_n.jpg
29594554_2080903778590525_7553000497277233812_n.jpg (83.56 KiB) Viewed 20141 times
lewlew100

Joined: 29 Dec 2016, 13:02

by Bigplumbs » 16 Apr 2018, 08:01

Sort of makes your fenders not work. Could the boat float off the river all together and onto the side

Dennis
Bigplumbs

Joined: 09 Dec 2014, 22:35

by lewlew100 » 17 Apr 2018, 13:25

There are a couple of fenders lower down, but with the water above the staging they would just float. There is a high pole to stop the boat mounting the staging, but I think I shall fit another near the stern. Thanks for the reminder Dennis. Geoff.
lewlew100

Joined: 29 Dec 2016, 13:02

by betty boop » 19 Apr 2018, 09:39

lewlew100 wrote:There are a couple of fenders lower down, but with the water above the staging they would just float. There is a high pole to stop the boat mounting the staging, but I think I shall fit another near the stern. Thanks for the reminder Dennis. Geoff.

great picture Geoff, in 2014 there was a canal boat in the middle of the park a 1/2 down stream to you. river flooded as it does but his mooring broke, water recedes and - yes you guessed it- boat in the middle of dry land in the centre of Peterborough. made a great photo but not much use otherwise :lol:
betty boop
RNLI Hero
RNLI Hero

by lewlew100 » 15 May 2018, 22:21

We have now decided that as well as an additional high pole at the stern we will fix a line of fenders permanently on the vertical riverside face of the staging, so we should be better placed for any future flooding. As everyone knows we all enjoyed fabulous weather over the bank holiday weekend and whilst last saturday was a bit damp and drab Sunday turned out glorious although most of the time was spent carrying out maintenance work on our mooring/bankside area. I must however get some more "project" work done. I am going down to the pointed end this weekend to collect the dinghy and some other items of gear left behind when we collected Pebble Beach. Geoff.
lewlew100

Joined: 29 Dec 2016, 13:02

by Ianfs » 18 May 2018, 07:24

Hi Geoff

Have a great trip down to Cornwall, I'm assuming that's what you mean by the pointy end. :)

Glad you've had some great times out boating.

PreviousNext