  • In total there are 13 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 13 guests (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
  • Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 13 guests

Motor Boat Forum

Too many projects - not enough time!!!

by Ianfs » 06 Jul 2017, 21:05

All the very best Geoff. :)

by lewlew100 » 21 Jul 2017, 22:08

We finally managed to reintroduce Mistral to the water last friday - river Nene at Alwalton, Peterborough. The launch went well, engine started and throttle, gears etc seemed fine, if a little stiff. We left the engine running in neutral for a couple of hours whilst another boat was launched to give it a chance to warm up. the temp did not seem to want to go above about 60 deg. even after all that time. At river cruising legal speed (6mph!!!) the temp rose to nearly 90. Everything was fine, smooth running no smoke etc. When the throttle was opened up a bit clouds of thick black diesel smelling smoke filled the cockpit (following wind). On returning to low speed the smoke just ceased. Perhaps the prolonged low running may have sooted up the injectors? Sadly because of the speed restrictions I was unable and unwilling to "thrash" it for a while in the hope of clearing/cleaning the injectors. I have spent most afternoons this week tidying up the long neglected mooring and bankside. At least we now have floating caraboat and can potter about on the river. Geoff.
lewlew100

Joined: 29 Dec 2016, 13:02

by betty boop » 22 Jul 2017, 12:34

get that licence Geoff and head out to the mad mile the other side of Fengate ramp (so Im told) which has no speed limit according to chart and local knowledge (or rumour). or head out through the dog n D lock, to wisbeckistan on the tidal section. happy to co pilot if available just as long as theres no WATER ON THE ROOF. :evil:

for those that dont know and like a laugh I had the pleasure of a late afternoon Tea & snack with Mr & Mrs Geoff. Whilst the 2 light weights climbed on & off board a few times, it wasnt till a larger dead weight stepped on the starboard deck that it shifted what seemed like 4 gallons of laying rain water on the roof, all over to one side and all over my head - soaked from head to flip flop. To be fair I was laughing too whilst young Geoff desperately tried not to wet himself laughing and apologising luckily the caring Mrs Geoff had a towel to save me a damp afternoon. and Yes Mandy also found it hilarious and would have been no use what so ever :roll:
betty boop
RNLI Hero
RNLI Hero

by lewlew100 » 22 Jul 2017, 13:32

I am glad that you have dried out now Ian (BB), in case you are concerned I have now recovered from my laughing fit. Glad to hear the Mandy was also amused.. With regard to the so called "MAGIC MILE" (it was and probably still is officially a speed free section). Back in 1985 we took a couple of friends with children for a trip in our original Carrera. You can probably imagine that for about 2 hours, all we heard from the kids was "can we go fast now", I said no, we can only do that in the MM. We eventually passed under the bridge with the MM in front of us only to see the bankside lined with fishermen. I went to opposite bank and opened the throttle to keep the young 'uns happy, but when I looked back realised that we were trailing a wash about 2ft+ high that would hit the bank which was only about 1ft above the river level. As I enjoy fishing myself I would have never done anything to upset the FM, but I am afraid that I did leave some very irate anglers with damp gear and wet bikes!!! I left the MM as quickly as I dared, and would not stop until safely through the next lock. If any of those anglers ever read this, Please accept my apologies, but do remember that the waterways are there for us ALL to enjoy and if in the full length of the river there is a short speed free area that it would be better to fish elsewhere. Geoff.
lewlew100

Joined: 29 Dec 2016, 13:02

by lewlew100 » 22 Jul 2017, 15:04

rsz_1dsci1311.jpg
rsz_1dsci1311.jpg (262.13 KiB) Viewed 43525 times
rsz_dsci1318.jpg
rsz_dsci1318.jpg (166.78 KiB) Viewed 43525 times
Just a couple of photos of Mistral and her new(quiet) home on the river Nene, showing our derelict mooring, the boat on her way, under way and arriving at our now refurbed mooring. I will post the photos in that order, but they could come up in any order despite the help from Ianfs. Geoff.
rsz_dsci1319.jpg
rsz_dsci1319.jpg (222.95 KiB) Viewed 43525 times
rsz_dsci1403.jpg
rsz_dsci1403.jpg (163.61 KiB) Viewed 43525 times
rsz_dsci1407.jpg
rsz_dsci1407.jpg (196.75 KiB) Viewed 43525 times
rsz_dsci1414.jpg
rsz_dsci1414.jpg (178.14 KiB) Viewed 43525 times
lewlew100

Joined: 29 Dec 2016, 13:02

by lewlew100 » 22 Jul 2017, 15:06

WOW!!! Sorry Ianfs - I tried it and it worked - wonder of wonders. Geoff.
lewlew100

Joined: 29 Dec 2016, 13:02

by Ianfs » 23 Jul 2017, 19:05

You are very welcome Geoff. I must add I am very impressed with your new decking at your mooring. How did you manage to balance on the poles or did you have some sort of ingenious method?

by lewlew100 » 23 Jul 2017, 19:27

Thanks again Ianfs for your help, and nice comments. With regards to fixing the decking, I did have a secret weapon - lots of help from another "BANTER" member, Ian(BB), and I managed to thank him by giving him a lovely fresh rainwater cold shower. Geoff.
lewlew100

Joined: 29 Dec 2016, 13:02

by lewlew100 » 07 Aug 2017, 09:43

I did mention in an earlier post that I had added to the "fleet". Well the latest addition is an old Winner Wildcat (at least that is what the vendor told me) fitted with a 5.0ltr Volvo petrol engine driving a Volvo 280 leg. The boat has been stood (outdoors) for the last 20 years as it had the UJ fail at speed and the flailing parts damaged the bell housing extension and the top casting where the UJ bellows fit. The engine is solid, but I am going to pour some diesel into the SP holes and leave it for a couple of weeks to see the outcome. I have a replacement bell housing, but wondered if anyone had a "scrap" 280 leg or parts stashed away anywhere. The old modified Snipe trailer towed well and I am replacing the old split plastic mudguards with new. I have ordered a new pneumatic wheel and tyre (plastic wheel with tube and tyre - ebay £8.98). Geoff.
lewlew100

Joined: 29 Dec 2016, 13:02

by lewlew100 » 24 Mar 2018, 21:40

I don't really know if I dare mention this, but my fleet of unseaworthy boats has just increased. I shall be collecting the paid for, but as yet unseen project from west Cornwall during the week after Easter. Probably no surprises what it will be so no prizes for correctly guessing. This one will be a joint venture with a very good friend. Geoff.
lewlew100

Joined: 29 Dec 2016, 13:02

PreviousNext