  • In total there are 66 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 65 guests (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
  • Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 65 guests

Motor Boat Forum

Too many projects - not enough time!!!

by lewlew100 » 18 May 2018, 22:47

Tanks Ianfs. pointy end means Devon/cornwall. Actually Nick (the vendor) was visiting relatives in Bath this weekend and offered to load everything in his small trailer and offered to meet up with me in the Bristol area and loan me his trailer with all the bits loaded on the understanding that I return his trailer on my next trip to the "pointed end". Fantastic of him to do that. That meant that we had a bit more time available so I contacted an old friend (we both started as "tiffies" at HMS Fisgard in January 1959 and have kept in contact since) who is a volunteer tour guide at the Helicopter museum at Locking (WSM) so we booked in to the caravan site at Locking and had a VIP guided tour of the museum - which has the worlds best collection of helicopters and is well worth a visit. Today, prior to meeting up with Nick at Gordano services we spent a few hours on board the SS Great Britain, another really impressive venture. Off to the BC for the weekend tomorrow - no wonder I am always struggling for time for some of my projects. I really would like to try to get my fast fishing boat project on the water this year as although my wife Joyce prefers just to use the rivers, I much prefer the sea and would like to have a bit of fun "zooming" around even though that will probably mean dragging a boat down to the south coast. My last REAL boat trip was in my new Carrera back in 1985 when I toed the boat to Northney Marina, sailed (powered) to Brighton for the night and then on to Fecamp the next day, and sadly not staying over there for too long due to adverse weather conditions being forcast meant an early return. Geoff.
lewlew100

Joined: 29 Dec 2016, 13:02

by Ianfs » 19 May 2018, 07:27

Sounds like a great trip. One question...tiffies? Sick bay or Mechanic?

by lewlew100 » 20 May 2018, 13:35

Yes Ian, our French trip was most enjoyable and had an experience at the re-fueling pumps that could have never occurred over here. Tiffies means artificers and as apprentices we starteed at HMS Fisgard, Torpoint which was when I met my wife (now of 53 years wedded bliss - for her of course). there were five trades. covering all aspects of engineering. Shipwright (chippies), ERA (engine room artificers), OA(ordinance), AA(aircraft) and EA (electrical). My trade was electrical, but I have probably forgotten more than I learned. With the exception of the chippies we all had the same basic mechanical (fitting, milling, turning etc.) training which was very comprehensive. Geoff.
lewlew100

Joined: 29 Dec 2016, 13:02

by lewlew100 » 25 May 2018, 16:48

Managed to get the weeds hacked away from my first (18' fast fisher) yesterday and dragged it out a bit. The trailer had 2 flat tyres (not surprising), one of which is totally ruined. This is a bit sad as 12c tyres are not so readily available nowadays so I may change it to 13" wheels, but I do not want to spend much on that trailer as with a capacity of only 860kg it will not be good enough to use as a road trailer. The boat itself looks fine, but the topsides needs a really good clean. I have an old (circa year 2000), but very clean Mercury 125 hp 2stroke that I bought for it about 3 years ago and hope to get that fitted soon. I will get a few pics posted when I have made some more progress. Geoff.
lewlew100

Joined: 29 Dec 2016, 13:02

by lewlew100 » 03 Aug 2018, 23:43

A little more work on the fast fisher this week. Boat pressure washed to clean her up a bit. Hard top trimmed and a couple of pics taken. Hardtop,screen doors etc. removed for flow coating. Cockpit walls flow coated. I will post todays pics showing the trimmed roofline. I have made a few sketches of my intended plans for the layout. I intend to make a wheelhouse/salon under the hardtop as the cabin has only room for the 2 V berths. Geoff.
Attachments
resize 4.jpg
resize 4.jpg (461.06 KiB) Viewed 18662 times
resize 3.jpg
resize 3.jpg (445.67 KiB) Viewed 18662 times
resize 2.jpg
resize 2.jpg (469.54 KiB) Viewed 18662 times
resize 1.jpg
resize 1.jpg (441.17 KiB) Viewed 18662 times
lewlew100

Joined: 29 Dec 2016, 13:02

by lewlew100 » 03 Aug 2018, 23:52

When the items were removed for flow coating some stiffening ribs were added to the hardtop as I am fitting a 500mm lewmar roof hatch in it's centre. I would also like to know if anyone has any recommendations for someone who can custom make some stainless fittings (handrails, pulpit etc.) at a resonable price. Thank you. Geoff.
lewlew100

Joined: 29 Dec 2016, 13:02

by lewlew100 » 12 Aug 2018, 18:15

I have been speaking to the lads that made the moulds for my 18 foot fast fisher and have discovered that whilst the boat performs very well, water that lands on the foredeck tends to run down the sides and ends up in the self draining cockpit. I decided to stop this happening and have spent this last week making two patterns for moulds to be taken off to form new coamings that run from the cabin to the transom. This will also make the cockpit sides better (higher). Geoff.
lewlew100

Joined: 29 Dec 2016, 13:02

by lewlew100 » 13 Aug 2018, 23:14

20180813_121521.jpg
20180813_121521.jpg (218.46 KiB) Viewed 18567 times
20180813_121302.jpg
20180813_121302.jpg (177.49 KiB) Viewed 18567 times
Coaming patterns basically made now, just require sanding, painting and waxing prior to making the moulds and then the new mouldings. High level screen and hard top not yet re-fitted after flow coating. Geoff.
lewlew100

Joined: 29 Dec 2016, 13:02

by betty boop » 16 Aug 2018, 14:05

looks good Geoff keeping you busy and out of trouble :-)
betty boop
RNLI Hero
RNLI Hero

by lewlew100 » 16 Aug 2018, 16:51

Thanks Ian (BB), but you know that I am always in trouble. Geoff.
lewlew100

Joined: 29 Dec 2016, 13:02

PreviousNext