• Boat Banter

It is currently 20 May 2024, 00:15
  • View new posts
  • View unanswered posts
  • Who is online
  • In total there is 1 user online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 1 guest (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
  • Most users ever online was 1736 on 21 Nov 2020, 15:51
  • Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

Motor Boat Forum

Where is your cruising ground ?

by ColinR » 23 Nov 2015, 17:04

Looks a bit (lot) like our last trip round the Isle of Wight :mrgreen:
ColinR
All round Jolly Good Chap
All round Jolly Good Chap

by BruceK » 23 Nov 2015, 17:29

I don't feel so hard done by now :lol:
BruceK

by MartynG » 23 Nov 2015, 18:11

BruceK wrote:It is indeed, thank you. North Wales is spectacular and when the sea is good it's magnificent but when the sea is bad, it's 'orrid :lol:

A weeks cruise and 50 - 50 your cruise will be like this at some point

Thank you for the pictures and also the video
How would you describe the sea state in the video ?
Moderate ?
MartynG
Warrant Officer
Warrant Officer

by BruceK » 23 Nov 2015, 18:36

Technically moderate and moderate. I dislike those terms though as they are relative, and when you are in a small boat that's ruffasf*k. A 1.7m swell with a period of 2 to 3 seconds. You see it's the wave period that makes all the difference imo, when they are as close as that for all intents and purposes the sea is confused and liable to throw some real biggies your way. A 1.7m swell with a 10 second plus period is a milder beast altogether.
BruceK

by MartynG » 23 Nov 2015, 20:40

BruceK wrote:Technically moderate and moderate. I dislike those terms though as they are relative, and when you are in a small boat that's ruffasf*k. A 1.7m swell with a period of 2 to 3 seconds. You see it's the wave period that makes all the difference imo, when they are as close as that for all intents and purposes the sea is confused and liable to throw some real biggies your way. A 1.7m swell with a 10 second plus period is a milder beast altogether.

I found similar confused short waves on the North Sea in the summer . (sorry no video) . Not quite as bad for as your experience I think.
Did get wet on the flybridge a couple of times - spray thrown up rather than waves over the bow.
Its quite a trip for us to get to the sea from home. I plan to go again next summer and hope for some smoother water.
MartynG
Warrant Officer
Warrant Officer

by BruceK » 23 Nov 2015, 21:18

Oh ya. The North Sea is legendary. Much worse. The Irish sea is an uncomfortable sea but never really huge. It's the short period. Much more comfortable in a sub 20 foot boat than a sub 40 footer. I have often found myself straddling two wave crests when the chop gets steep. The way the boat lurches makes your guts slide especially when she broaches which you are liable to do if exceeding wave speed.
BruceK

by shibbs » 23 Nov 2015, 23:17

BruceK wrote:Oh ya. The North Sea is legendary. Much worse. The Irish sea is an uncomfortable sea but never really huge.

I had my most horrendous experience in the Irish Sea a few years back, so sea sick it was unbelievable, waves so high I honestly wondered if we were going to get up them, this was on one of Her Majesty's smaller grey ones though. Irish Sea, I'll never forget it!! :o :shock:
Stu

Princess 286 Riviera
Twin Volvo Penta AD41’s
shibbs
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

by BruceK » 24 Nov 2015, 08:37

Nothing worse than chunking guts :lol: Yes it can get big, all waters can but that maybe the exception rather than the rule? At least I speak for inshore / coastal waters. I, thank god, have never managed to be out when they've got bigger than 2m and it's still a rare occurence the ferry stops. Around some overfalls and races we do get some truly huge standing waves at certain tides.
BruceK

Previous

Return to Motor Boat Forum

User Menu