• Boat Banter

It is currently 20 May 2024, 01:58
  • In total there are 3 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 3 guests (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
  • Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests

Motor Boat Forum

Steering with the Skeg

by Bigplumbs » 12 Nov 2015, 18:36

Being all excited about my 'new' boat and getting over enthusiastic about some of the trips I might make. I was thinking about a back up motor should the old girl conk out on me.

I have a nice little 4 hp Yamaha that would push her (19 ft Fletcher GTS) along at a few knots. Looking at a potential mount looks very interesting to say the least and it would be very difficult to actually steer by moving the auxiliary. So I was thinking if it were possible to get the little 4hp in the water pointing straight would the leg and skeg work as a rudder so that you could have some steering. or am I just mad or thinking too much because it is winter and I cant get out in my boat ................................................. Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Dennis
Bigplumbs

Joined: 09 Dec 2014, 22:35

by Ianfs » 12 Nov 2015, 21:21

So I was thinking if it were possible to get the little 4hp in the water pointing straight would the leg and skeg work as a rudder so that you could have some steering. or am I just mad or thinking too much because it is winter and I cant get out in my boat

No, you're not mad Dennis, it is a very interesting question.

It is thought by a number of experts that if the Captain of the Titanic had ordered full ahead whilst turning, instead of full astern, the water flow over the rudder from the middle engine (even though the rudder was small) may have provided enough turning capability to avoid it hitting the iceburg so hard.

So, without a keel and no thrust over the skeg, it would work a little, but not enough to do any close quarter manoeuvres or to be effective. An outboard and stern drive only steer properly because of the direction of the prop.

by annageek » 14 Nov 2015, 09:32

Not quite related to the question, but we considered doing the same when we first ofr out 19gts, but one problem I had was coming up with a method of mounting an aux. engine. The transom platform isn't all that thick, and the way it's moulded, there's a big void between the inside of the top of the swim platform and the inside of the lower part - but there's not quite enough room to get your hands/wrists in to put a nice block of hardwood or something in there to hanker it down to.

Not an insurmountable problem, and indeed I think I've seen photos of 19gts's with transom platform aux motor mounts fitted. It's probably worth thinking about this though before you pick any particular motor mount... and of course, when fitted, post on here how you did it for future reference!

In the end, we gave up with the aux. motor idea, and since we're down in the Solent, just opted for Sea Start instead - cheaper, more reliable, more useful and less hassle, but depends on being on the south coast.
annageek
Chief Petty Officer
Chief Petty Officer

by Bigplumbs » 14 Nov 2015, 11:30

Anna

I know what you mean about the mounting problem it is a real head scratcher and to be honest I think I am sort of giving up on the idea. No Seastart here in east Anglia so I think I will just have to rely on my Radio, Fixed and backup handheld as well as the good old mobile phone

Dennis
Bigplumbs

Joined: 09 Dec 2014, 22:35

by ColinR » 14 Nov 2015, 18:16

Bet to differ, coming in to the pontoon I head in slowly and fine tune the direction in neutral using the skeg. Also have used the main outboard to steer while running on a backup motor on my mate's Ocqueteau.
User avatar
ColinR
All round Jolly Good Chap
All round Jolly Good Chap