• Boat Banter

It is currently 20 May 2024, 00:56
  • In total there are 2 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 2 guests (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
  • Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

Motor Boat Forum

Bill of Sale

by Bigplumbs » 07 Nov 2015, 22:36

I got the various service records etc through the post today for 'The Cure'. With the papers was a Department of Transport Bill of sale completed for the previous sale of the boat. https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... _02-14.pdf

This document talks about British Registered ships. Is this something that needs to be completed for a small boat such as this

Regards

Dennis
Bigplumbs

Joined: 09 Dec 2014, 22:35

by mlines » 08 Nov 2015, 05:20

No, nothing has to be completed, you can complete one to give your boat a paper trail if you want.. If you intend towing to Europe then its best to have it documented

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
Regal 2250 - "Witch Way" - MMSI:235073628
My Regal 2250
User avatar
mlines

Location: Wokingham, Berkshire

by Ianfs » 08 Nov 2015, 12:24

+1

This is a tiny detail but at work we are so used to saying DfT (Department for Transport) I thought you may have written it the old pre 97 way. Until I read the Bill of Sale, Yes it definitely says Department of Transport. Must be a really old form from pre 1997 they are still using but it appears to be for registered merchant ships. :mrgreen:

by Bigplumbs » 08 Nov 2015, 12:27

Ianfs wrote:+1

This is a tiny detail but at work we are so used to saying DfT (Department for Transport) I thought you may have written it the old pre 97 way. Until I read the Bill of Sale, yes it definitely says Department of Transport. Must be a really old form from pre 1997 they are still using but it appears to be for registered merchant ships. :mrgreen:

I know it appears to be for much bigger vessels but I had some for the previous sales of this boat and also for the 17 foot fletcher. I think people could have been dreaming a bit :)

Dennis
Bigplumbs

Joined: 09 Dec 2014, 22:35

by Ianfs » 08 Nov 2015, 12:33

Ha ha, yes I think you are right, although they may use it for the SSR as well, but it is not a requirement as per Martins post.

by Centaur » 12 Nov 2015, 00:07

I would recommend that you get the previous owner to complete and sign the MCA Bill of Sale as it demonstrates that you have clear title to the vessel and that there are no encumberances on it (or, at least, none declared - if there were, the Bill of Sale would evidence that the previous owner had hidden it from you).

A Bill of Sale should be completed whenever a boat changes hands and, hopefully, the previous owner will be able to provide all of them from when the boat was new (very rare on older boats) but, if not, an uninterupted tally covering the last five years should suffice (though frequently missing with many sports boats).

If you were to take the boat abroad, it would also be helpful to be able to demonstrate the boat's provenance to foreign officials. A copy of the original VAT paid invoice (in the name of an individual not a company) would be great too but this too tends to get lost after a few changes of owners...
User avatar
Centaur
Able Rate
Able Rate

by MartynG » 12 Nov 2015, 08:04

I would not buy a boat without this paperwork completed.
It certainly doesnt apply only to ships.
User avatar
MartynG

Joined: 31 Oct 2015, 17:41
Location: The Planet Earth

by Bigplumbs » 12 Nov 2015, 18:30

MartynG wrote:I would not buy a boat without this paperwork completed.
It certainly doesnt apply only to ships.

I better get it sorted than
Bigplumbs

Joined: 09 Dec 2014, 22:35