• Boat Banter

It is currently 20 May 2024, 01:28
  • View new posts
  • View unanswered posts
  • Who is online
  • In total there are 3 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 3 guests (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
  • Most users ever online was 1736 on 21 Nov 2020, 15:51
  • Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests

Motor Boat Forum

How strong???

by mlines » 05 Nov 2015, 16:25

So my "rummager in chief" has found a spare sunpad. It is a full (i.e. no cutouts) sunpad. This means it would cover the cabin hatch (see picture below)

Now we have studiously avoided putting weight on the hatch just because it seems to make sense. However if this was covered by a sunpad and either sat on or even stood on in a careless moment would it matter?? I have thought about it and I think that if it was possible to break the hatch by standing on it then there would be American warning labels all over it and lots of "I broke my hatch" posts on the internet?

Regal 2250 - "Witch Way" - MMSI:235073628
My Regal 2250
mlines
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

by Ianfs » 05 Nov 2015, 17:16

I'm with you on this one Martin they would plaster it all over the boat and also would they want a bunch of their own sewing the ar**e off them when they accidentally step on it? No methinks not! After all, it's the home of product liability.

Knowing you, you've already thought of this but, if the sun pad was thick enough, it would absorb the hatch's height, probably about 20-30mm ish and provide some protection. I see in some photos of the 2250 that the hatch is most likely where your bum would be so it would be a little vulnerable and therefore I can see why you're asking.

My vote would be do it. :D
Ianfs
Captain
Captain

by MartynG » 05 Nov 2015, 18:16

Although it is logical to conclude the hatch could take an occasional load it seems to me the sun pad should be tailored around the hatch in order to avoid loading the hatch . It might become fatigued if loaded repeatedly.

Here's a picture of the sun pad on my F33 (if I have managed to add a photograph)

..................... and we have used the sun pad in the UK.
This year I left the sun pad on May to October. I certainly wouldn't want to do that if it covered the hatch.

MartynG
Warrant Officer
Warrant Officer

by BruceK » 05 Nov 2015, 18:22

I wouldn't go about jumping on them but they are remarkably sturdy. I'd be very surprised if you damaged one when a sun pad was over it. (thinking along the lines of bed slats and matress) The F33 shown has a much larger hatch which I surmise would allow for greater flex than yours. In the end though I suspect that the practacalities of comfort will be the deciding factor. I dont imagine lying over the hatch, pad or not, will be particularly inviting.
BruceK

by ColinR » 06 Nov 2015, 08:38

Mine, which is similar to yours takes my, not inconsiderable, weight in sitting and standing mode.

I wouldn't use it as a trampoline though, I'd have to fall through and get stuck!
ColinR
All round Jolly Good Chap
All round Jolly Good Chap

by mlines » 06 Nov 2015, 08:48

Thanks, I feel happy that if we do accidently sit or stand on it then we are not going to get a surprise.

Martin
Regal 2250 - "Witch Way" - MMSI:235073628
My Regal 2250
mlines
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

by Centaur » 11 Nov 2015, 23:33

Is it not toughened glass? I can't imagine that it's not designed to be stood on - it's part of the deck after all.

In any case, I've stood on it and used it as a sun pad with just a towel!!!
Centaur
Able Rate
Able Rate

Return to Motor Boat Forum

User Menu