• Boat Banter

It is currently 20 May 2024, 02:20
  • In total there are 2 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 2 guests (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
  • Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

Motor Boat Forum

Towing Capacity

by mlines » 25 Oct 2015, 16:04

I would expect its because the bulk of those being off-roaded were D1 originals. My D2 had no problems.

Just google disco boot floor

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
Regal 2250 - "Witch Way" - MMSI:235073628
My Regal 2250
User avatar
mlines

Location: Wokingham, Berkshire

by ChrisH » 26 Oct 2015, 21:28

Dennis. Would definitely take the advice and buy a4x4. My biggest concern for you with your Mondeo would be stopping. If you had to stop quickly I think you would really struggle.
I have an R class Merc. Towing capacity is 2250kg. My boat and trailer plus fuel etc is probably about 2000kg. I went to Cornwall earlier this year and the brakes were not adjust correctly. It was somewhat scary trying to bring the whole thing to a stop while going downhill .
Hope you are successful with getting the boat and disco.
User avatar
ChrisH

by Ianfs » 27 Oct 2015, 08:39

After all the help I have received on this Forum I think I know what I am now going to buy. I am off for the sea trial on Tuesday.

Good luck with the Sea Trial today Dennis. :)

by betty boop » 27 Oct 2015, 08:50

ChrisH wrote:Dennis. Would definitely take the advice and buy a4x4. My biggest concern for you with your Mondeo would be stopping. If you had to stop quickly I think you would really struggle.
I have an R class Merc. Towing capacity is 2250kg. My boat and trailer plus fuel etc is probably about 2000kg. I went to Cornwall earlier this year and the brakes were not adjust correctly. It was somewhat scary trying to bring the whole thing to a stop while going downhill .
Hope you are successful with getting the boat and disco.

Yes I can sympathise, badly adjusted trailer brakes and not paying attention in heavy traffic, 2T capacity actually towing about 1.5T and doing 10 mph tops in Norwich city centre stop start traffic. The car stopped in time no problem the trouble came from behind as the trailer caught up and the brakes didn't kick in enough (badly adjusted & my fault). One smash in the rear and then suddenly another as I caved in the boot of the estate car in front. 3rd parties wife was mega pi'sed on their way to holiday, he was happy though, I could see 'write off' written all over his face along with 'now I get i can finally get rid of this piece of junk' :lol:
betty boop
RNLI Hero
RNLI Hero

by _Ed_ » 27 Oct 2015, 10:54

Bigplumbs wrote:I am keeping an eye out for any suitable 4 x 4 . Looking at Auto Trader however in my area Shoguns arte quite rare and what there is is quite expensive and most are Auto. I am a traditional sort of guy and don't like auto

Dennis

Shogun DI-D autos are amazing. You would be MAD to get a manual. The 5 speed auto transmission is an absolute beast. :D Way way way way better for towing than the manual - I've had both! I'm so confident in this. Also, they have locking rear diffs pretty much as standard. 8-) :mrgreen:
www.aboardmyboat.co.uk - boat projects and stuff!
_Ed_
Elite Engine tuner
Elite Engine tuner

by NickT » 27 Oct 2015, 19:47

Hi Dennis,

This picture shows the boat you are/have taken for a sea trial. Dated around November 2013, Hot Property is in front....
Attachments
WP_20130923_015 small.jpg
Fletcher 19GTS behind 19GTO
WP_20130923_015 small.jpg (99.99 KiB) Viewed 9144 times
NickT
Chief Petty Officer
Chief Petty Officer

Joined: 04 Dec 2014, 19:56
Location: Southampton, Hamble River

by Ianfs » 27 Oct 2015, 21:18

These Fletcher's, are they any good? They seem very popular round here!! :mrgreen: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I might have to open a special Fletcher Forum. :? :roll:

by NickT » 27 Oct 2015, 22:59

Yes Ian,

I have been involved in a special breeding programme for sub 20 ft boats for a few years now....

Anna and I are founding members of the organisation.

They do seem to punch above their size but of course I am biased.
NickT
Chief Petty Officer
Chief Petty Officer

Joined: 04 Dec 2014, 19:56
Location: Southampton, Hamble River

by SpiD » 01 Nov 2015, 17:59

Depends on your needs (occasional or regular long haul). Towing capacity and towing capability are two very different things.

To tow a boat up a ramp you need all the traction and torque you can get at the lowest possible rpm.
A gearbox with truely low range or auto+torque converter is what it takes. Rather a genuine 4x4 than a pseudo cross-over fwd with occasioial rwd added ("on demand" as commercials like to call it).
SpiD
Able Rate
Able Rate

by Carl » 17 Nov 2015, 19:51

I use one of these ....... legally tow the maximum of 3.5t all day every day (provided you're licenced to tow that is)

Image

No such thing as a cheap 90 or 110 landy :lol: :lol: :lol:
Carl .. Bayliner 175gt "Annamarie"
Carl

Joined: 29 Jan 2015, 14:04
Location: Devon, UK