• Boat Banter

It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 09:30
  • In total there are 20 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 20 guests (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
  • Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 20 guests

Motor Boat Forum

Aluminium Anodes

by MartynG » 17 Mar 2024, 22:49

I have been using Aluminium anodes over a period of at least 10 years with no issues.
They must be popular otherwise retailers would have given up selling them.
Any thoughts why zinc and magnesium are needed ?
Screenshot 2024-03-17 22.48.02.png
Screenshot 2024-03-17 22.48.02.png (469.35 KiB) Viewed 362 times
User avatar
MartynG

Joined: 31 Oct 2015, 17:41
Location: The Planet Earth

by Ianfs » 18 Mar 2024, 11:53

I'm no expert but I've always gone with which acts as the least noble (anodic) depending upon which type of water in which a boat is used.

That is,

Zinc for Salt water

Aluminium for a mixture, Salt to Brackish to Fresh.

Magnesium for Fresh water only.

Then again, anodes are a bit of a black art simply that a lot depends upon the compound of material a manufacturer has used.

by MartynG » 19 Mar 2024, 07:38

My boat is on fresh water with salty water trips .
So Aluminium fits with that.

But I would use Aluminium regardless. The only case for Zinc if in salt water is that it might last longer than Aluminium.
User avatar
MartynG

Joined: 31 Oct 2015, 17:41
Location: The Planet Earth