• Boat Banter

It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 20:25
  • In total there are 11 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 11 guests (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
  • Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 11 guests

Motor Boat Forum

Preparing antifoul for a fresh coat

by MartynG » 26 Nov 2023, 17:12

My boat was lifted ashore recently. Anti foul is usually long lived in our area but the existing coating was past its best.
I recently bought a sanding plate for use on a pole and a roll of sanding mesh for use with the plate. The sanding plate and mesh were from Toolstation. I already has a suitable good quality GRP/Aluminium pole which, ajusts in length, from a previous home decorating job.

Screenshot 2023-11-26 17.03.13.png
Screenshot 2023-11-26 17.03.13.png (57.29 KiB) Viewed 44354 times

I am pleased to report that one length of the mesh for the sanding plate and one square piece of the mesh for handheld use has been sufficient for the whole of the antifouled hull on my 33ft boat . This is using it wet with regular dunking of the mesh in a bucket of water or rinsing under a tap. Finally rinsed and brushed the surface of the hull to remove the loose residue.
The sanding mesh is not worn through.

The job of preparation has been considerably easier than the previous occasion which I had done entirely by handheld wet sanding. The cost of the sanding plate and the mesh was worth every penny.

Also this time hardly any of the removed antifoul on my face /hands as most of the work was possible using the pole/plate and relatively little involvement with lying under the boat.

Just need to pick a suitable day for the fresh antifoul paint.
User avatar
MartynG

Joined: 31 Oct 2015, 17:41
Location: The Planet Earth

by MartynG » 26 Nov 2023, 17:21

Having trouble posting images .
This is the sanding mesh
Screenshot 2023-11-26 17.19.34.png
Screenshot 2023-11-26 17.19.34.png (37.16 KiB) Viewed 44352 times
User avatar
MartynG

Joined: 31 Oct 2015, 17:41
Location: The Planet Earth

by MartynG » 05 Mar 2024, 18:06

Antifoul applied and ready to launch
Screenshot 2024-03-05 18.03.57.png
Screenshot 2024-03-05 18.03.57.png (418.91 KiB) Viewed 3158 times
User avatar
MartynG

Joined: 31 Oct 2015, 17:41
Location: The Planet Earth