• Boat Banter

It is currently 13 May 2024, 15:37
  • In total there are 7 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 7 guests (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
  • Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests

Motor Boat Forum

Volvo Penta AQ205A screeching noise

by bradhawksbill » 13 Dec 2022, 16:08

Hi All, Quite new to boating and bought a boat recently, I noticed that if I turn the wheel too quickly or on full lock I get a screeching noise. Checked the belts and they were fine but I did notice that when the screeching happened the main wheel stopped, any idea why, it looks like its just slipping and does this wheel just need tightening if so is it just a case of removing the four bolts and tightening the main centre bolt?

I was turning the wheel quickly in this video to try and show the issue so its quite noisy, if I turn the wheel slowly no issues at all.

Video link: www.youtube.com/shorts/jXintglj8NM
[url][www.youtube.com/shorts/jXintglj8NM]

Thanks in advance for any advice
bradhawksbill
Able Rate
Able Rate

Joined: 13 Dec 2022, 16:06

by shibbs » 13 Dec 2022, 17:51

Is that both pulleys stopping, or just the top one? Hard to see in the video.
Assume you have checked the power steering fluid?

by shibbs » 13 Dec 2022, 17:56

Also, that top pulley, I think, just bolts straight onto the power steering pump, so if loose it will simply just fall off, it can’t spin freely, when it stops the pump stops. It is driven by the pulley below.
My guess would be a seizing pump.
I would take that pulley off and take a look at the pump if it has fluid in to start with.

by bradhawksbill » 16 Dec 2022, 14:07

All sorter turns out the belt alternator just needed tightening, but thank you for help :-)
bradhawksbill
Able Rate
Able Rate

Joined: 13 Dec 2022, 16:06

by bradhawksbill » 16 Dec 2022, 14:09

Hi All,

Anyone got a service manual and user manual electronically would be perfect for a Mercruiser 4.3L V6 I think my engine is around 1990s?

Thanks
Bradley
bradhawksbill
Able Rate
Able Rate

Joined: 13 Dec 2022, 16:06

by argonaut » 16 Dec 2022, 21:10

All manuals available from iBoats forum ….
FourWinns H210, Volvo 280-C-N duoprop, Monster MTK tower, SBS 2600 twin axle trailer
Tow Vehicle - Landrover Discovery Sport
User avatar
argonaut

by Ianfs » 31 Dec 2022, 16:07

Agree with Argonaut. Ask the chaps on the US iboats forum . They have pdf's of the Mercruiser manuals. The after market versions are ok, but for really technical stuff, Mercruiser manuals are the best. You should also get a Stern Drive manual as well.