• Boat Banter

It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 10:42
  • In total there are 17 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 17 guests (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
  • Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 17 guests

Motor Boat Forum

Volvo Penta hour meter repair

by MartynG » 08 Nov 2022, 20:11

I recently fitted replacement hour counter displays in my Volvo Penta tachometers . The originals had stopped showing the hours which is quite common. The new displays retain the original hours since the data is stored in the tachometer .

The work required good light and a delicate touch.

Image

Image

.
Image
User avatar
MartynG

Joined: 31 Oct 2015, 17:41
Location: The Planet Earth

by ian h » 10 Nov 2022, 21:05

Hi Martyn

how long did that take you to do?
good that the hours data is still available after swapping the displays
ian h

by MartynG » 10 Nov 2022, 22:51

I watched a few videos on the subject on youtube.
Took it step by step
There a some variations in the design. The first one took a while until I figured it out. Some of the videos were inappropriate for the assembly in my case.
Once understood how tachometer was released from its housing the job was easy.
The second tachometer took a few minutes due to the learning from the first.

Removal and refitting on the boat was easy too.
User avatar
MartynG

Joined: 31 Oct 2015, 17:41
Location: The Planet Earth

by MartynG » 10 Nov 2022, 23:04

I would add it's quite satisfying to do a little job like this. Even though an hour meter is not a critical item it's good to see them working.
Next job is one of the fuel tank gauges is displaying full even though the tank is half full. I expect a new sender unit is required.
User avatar
MartynG

Joined: 31 Oct 2015, 17:41
Location: The Planet Earth

by ian h » 13 Nov 2022, 21:06

MartynG wrote:I would add it's quite satisfying to do a little job like this. Even though an hour meter is not a critical item it's good to see them working.
Next job is one of the fuel tank gauges is displaying full even though the tank is half full. I expect a new sender unit is required.

Guess once you done the first you also have more confidence in what you are doing, I did miss the hours not showing and it was only when boat had its annual service would I know the actual hours,
I had a fuel tank gauge that at certain levels would jump between empty and full, But would then settle down to approx what was in the tank,

I do know of a friend who very carefully calibrated his fuel gauges and knew within a Gallo or so exactly what his tanks contained
ian h