  • In total there are 122 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 122 guests (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
  • Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 122 guests

Motor Boat Forum

1st boat

by AandWnewboat » 05 Aug 2022, 07:16

Hi everyone
We plan to buy our first boat soon.Looking at sportcruiser type boats. we are in Boston area so good access to rivers and the wash. We really like a Regal commodore we have seen its a 2760. Has anyone had one of these ? if so what were your thoughts on it. Also any similar boats that may be better. Budget 40k ish. Also who are the best people to talk to for training...I dont want to crash my new pride and joy.
Thanks in advance for any advice
AandWnewboat
Able Rate
Able Rate

Joined: 05 Aug 2022, 06:59

by Ianfs » 21 Aug 2022, 17:04

Hi

Sorry for such a late reply.

You can't go wrong with the build quality of Regal, they are excellent American boats. As its your first boat it's not easy condensing all you need to know into a few sentences, but here goes and some of it you may know already but I'm not trying to teach you to suck eggs.
First things first, buy a boat from someone who is anal retentive for example someone who can tell you when the toilets last clogged or what they did to winterise it, did they have a marine engineer and do they have bills, plus which make service parts were used, generally speaking someone who skips over a direct question is usually trying to hide something, even a broker. Two engines will be expensive to maintain, even if you are DIY. The Merc and Volvo engines in the 2760 will have outdrives which will also need servicing as well. Both the Mercruiser and Volvo 4.3's are pretty burst proof when looked after, but they are raw water cooled, which means they have water in the blocks at all times which unlike car engines have anti freeze all year, so in winter they need anti freeze poured in manually. I would say that buying a boat is very like buying a car when it comes to its history except 5 times more penetrating for information because they are sat around so much and although they are salt water resistant, they are not impervious.

The 2760 is a great family boat and you must consider what sort of boating you want to do, days out, family on board, pottering, visiting places etc. A fast cruiser in a flat calm sea is fun, but in a medium sea it's not a fast cruiser, its a slow cruiser and will bounce around, so consider how many times you'll get a flat sea or cruise around inlets and rivers. In which case you may want something slower.

Others to look at are Sealine S23, S24 (same boats different model years) with a single Volvo engine and anything else similar in your price bracket. This Scandinavian built Nimbus for example will handle seas better and will give better protection but is not as exciting, but, better for the family.

https://www.yachtworld.co.uk/yacht/1990 ... e-8350964/

Please come back with any other questions.