• Boat Banter

It is currently 13 May 2024, 20:10
  • In total there are 51 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 51 guests (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
  • Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 51 guests

Motor Boat Forum

Is the bubble about to burst?

by Ianfs » 24 Mar 2022, 16:25

So, we are about to go through another financial period of possibly lowering our standards and I hear on the radio and the news lot's of who I would call youngsters, but my Grandsons would call adults, are rightly becoming jittery about their period of steady easy lifestyle and who have had relative calm in their financial life in the last 20yrs. Sadly the Country and some people soon forget what has actually happened on the World stage, like a Pandemic for example and that we have been reliant on Russian oil, in order to get this relative calm.

Oldies like me have seen an end to food rationing, then something appearing called a Supermarket, Wimpy restaurants opening up, the oil crisis of '73, a missile crisis (nearly triggering WW3), a couple of wars which could have ended badly, devaluation of the pound, a 3 day week, power cuts, 4 recessions etc. In the mid '70's inflation hit 24% in fact there have been tens of recessions in the UK over the past few hundred years.

I'm not ashamed to say I went into debt big time in the late '80's and nearly lost my house, I also lost my job 3 times in the recessions of the early 70's 80's and 90's. My wife's car in the 80's was a '63 Beetle, the equivalent of an '01 reg today, would that be acceptable?

Boat prices have exponentially increased in the last 5-10 yrs, A Fairline 29 in 2015 at £35,000 is now £62,000, showing the ease in which it is a buyers market and therefore how much spare cash there has been out there.

Are we therefore about to see a return to normality where luxury goods are no longer bartered at ridiculously high prices, but instead are won by saving and achieving one's goals in life?

by argonaut » 24 Mar 2022, 22:24

Boats may have increased in price, but at starter end …. Almost all UK manufacturers are gone.

When I started in boating we had -
Simms
Fletcher
Broom
Shakespeare
Phantom
Picton

Now not easy to find a sub-21’ boat built in UK.
FourWinns H210, Volvo 280-C-N duoprop, Monster MTK tower, SBS 2600 twin axle trailer
Tow Vehicle - Landrover Discovery Sport
User avatar
argonaut