• Boat Banter

It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 12:26
  • In total there are 12 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 12 guests (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
  • Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 12 guests

Motor Boat Forum

Volvo DuoProp (long)

by argonaut » 22 Jan 2023, 23:47

Finally the boat is in to have new drive fitted.

Been a long time … 17 months since initially reporting the issue, and 14 months since Volvo advised drive will be replaced.
FourWinns H210, Volvo 280-C-N duoprop, Monster MTK tower, SBS 2600 twin axle trailer
Tow Vehicle - Landrover Discovery Sport
User avatar
argonaut

by ian h » 24 Jan 2023, 20:50

I hope these come with the same warranty as they did when boat was new.
Did Volvo ever say what the fault was?
ian h

by argonaut » 24 Jan 2023, 21:03

I’ll find out tomorrow … job is finished.
FourWinns H210, Volvo 280-C-N duoprop, Monster MTK tower, SBS 2600 twin axle trailer
Tow Vehicle - Landrover Discovery Sport
User avatar
argonaut

by argonaut » 25 Jan 2023, 16:34

Boat collected new drive fitted, (incl transom shield) plus all new electrical harnesses & hydraulic hoses.

Surprised no on-the-water test, just run up on muffs .....

Took a look at old drive - everywhere a bolt was in the casing or passed through it had corrosion around the hole, all edges had corrosion, bearing carrier had the most .... my assumption ios as this was nearest to SS duoprop.

At the same time had annual service carried out ... amazed how much oil has jumped in price in 12 months ... the previous service was £46.06 and now for same oil it's £60.16 a whopping 30% increase
FourWinns H210, Volvo 280-C-N duoprop, Monster MTK tower, SBS 2600 twin axle trailer
Tow Vehicle - Landrover Discovery Sport
User avatar
argonaut

by argonaut » 29 Jan 2023, 18:49

After 14 months ..... boat was back home with new drive.
Run up today to winterise - not good news.

Started perfectly on the winterizing 2-stroke mix (hence the smoke)
In Neutral, increased to 1500rpm (as per Volvo winterisation procedure)
Horrible noise - sounds like gears meshing & slipping - it's in Neutral.

I then put it in fwd and run to 1500 rpm ... this ran without noise

Then found that I cannot select reverse.

This is not what I expected from a 100% new drive. especially having waited over a year for this.

My basic level of engineering would suggest that gearbox linkage is incorrectly set allowing gears to mesh when in Neutral, and so far out to prevent reverse (maybe Neutral interlock) will this have caused any damage? as this is supposed to be a new drive.

I videoed (with audio) the 3 conditions ..... please watch & listen, welcome any comments - it's going back into dealer for sure.

[youtube]https://youtu.be/iEnuTYA8uQE[/youtube]
FourWinns H210, Volvo 280-C-N duoprop, Monster MTK tower, SBS 2600 twin axle trailer
Tow Vehicle - Landrover Discovery Sport
User avatar
argonaut

by ian h » 13 Feb 2023, 18:32

how did you get on with this ?
ian h

by argonaut » 13 Feb 2023, 19:03

The VP mechanic came to my house and sorted it,
The gear select cable was not correct, they set it up and now all working fine.

Not water tested … that will have to wait until April
FourWinns H210, Volvo 280-C-N duoprop, Monster MTK tower, SBS 2600 twin axle trailer
Tow Vehicle - Landrover Discovery Sport
User avatar
argonaut

by ian h » 17 Feb 2023, 20:39

sounds good news
fingers crossed when you get to use the boat
ian h

by argonaut » 17 Feb 2023, 22:26

Drive has been replaced with the new Easy Shift drive, so should be nice upgrade.
FourWinns H210, Volvo 280-C-N duoprop, Monster MTK tower, SBS 2600 twin axle trailer
Tow Vehicle - Landrover Discovery Sport
User avatar
argonaut

Previous