• Boat Banter

It is currently 13 May 2024, 13:00
  • In total there are 14 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 14 guests (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
  • Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 14 guests

Motor Boat Forum

Battery Vent

by argonaut » 09 Mar 2022, 20:52

My battery failed … and a new one been sent under warranty.
It’s an identical Exide ER550
It has come with a battery vent pipe.
There was no vent pipe fitted to previous battery.

The battery is in a standard plastic battery box.

Do I route pipe outside the box … sort of negates having a battery contained in a plastic box.
Or do I leave inside the box … to base of box, or above battery ?

What do you have on your boats.

In over 40 years of boating, never seen a vent pipe fitted, but also never had one supplied before.
FourWinns H210, Volvo 280-C-N duoprop, Monster MTK tower, SBS 2600 twin axle trailer
Tow Vehicle - Landrover Discovery Sport
User avatar
argonaut

by Ianfs » 10 Mar 2022, 07:40

I'm no expert on batteries but I know that leisure batteries have vent tubes, so this must be a leisure battery.
Essentially they are the same as cold cranking batteries with thicker plates and a bit more sealing.
Whereas a starter battery is only used for cranking producing enormous energy quickly, leisure batteries operate fridges, heaters,lights etc and therefore can discharge over a long period in a caravan box. So I think they put a vent on them in case of harmful gases entering the living space.
That's all I know. I doubt your boat has heavy electrical equipment so won't be a heavy drain on your battery. Plus although it's in a sealed box it's in an open boat, so I would guess any gases would disperse quickly.

by argonaut » 23 Mar 2022, 08:03

The ER550 is a combined Marine & Leisure.
Dual purpose start & deep cycle.
Certainly very high CCA rating …. Maybe adding vent is part of allowing it to be used on Leisure.
https://www.gobatteries.co.uk/product/m ... -m110-679/
FourWinns H210, Volvo 280-C-N duoprop, Monster MTK tower, SBS 2600 twin axle trailer
Tow Vehicle - Landrover Discovery Sport
User avatar
argonaut

by Ianfs » 23 Mar 2022, 17:34

Maybe adding vent is part of allowing it to be used on Leisure.

Absolutely, that makes perfect sense.