  • In total there are 85 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 85 guests (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
  • Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 85 guests

Motor Boat Forum

A fun nautical quiz............

by Ianfs » 29 Apr 2021, 20:38

Just for a bit of fun, if you get some wrong so what, if you get them all right, you're a genius .....Answer a b or c except for Number 2 to which tere is an explanation.

Boat Quiz
1/ You’re on a 30’cruiser and you’re heading into wind when your engine cuts out. Does your boat?
a) Stay heading into wind - b) Turn round stern into wind - c) Turn sideways to the wind

2/ What is this buoy and what would you do if you came across it?
Buoy.jpg
Buoy.jpg (8.19 KiB) Viewed 4210 times

3/ You are in the Solent in a motorboat and you cross the path of a ferry and hear 5 horn blasts. What does this mean?
a) I intend to turn about to Starboard - b) I do not understand your intentions, please make them clear - c) I intend to pass you to my Port side

4/ Who gives way hierarchy… Here are 5 vessels, from 1 to 5, 1 being the lowest in the ranking i.e has to give way to the other 4 and so on and 5 being the least likely to give way to any of them, please list the hierarchy.
a) Sailing yacht (under sail) - b) Vessel with restricted ability to manoeuvre - c) Fishing boat engaged in fishing - d) Power boat - e) Vessel not under command

5/ What is chart datum
a) Mean low water springs - b) Lowest Astronomical tide - c) A Nautical dating website

6/ On a weather Surface Pressure Chart if the isobars are very close together, what does this indicate?
a) Cold weather - b) Windy conditions - c) Rain

7/ At what Surface Pressure (in Millibars) is chart datum measured?
a) 1010 mb - b) 1230 mb - c) 1013 mb

8/ You have to negotiate the bridges at Poole to get into Upton Lake for Cobbs Quay. How would you expect the clearance to be marked on the chart for information to navigate safely under the bridges?
a) Maximum air draft of a vessel in feet/metres for clearance under the bridge - b) Clearance in feet/metres above Highest Astronomical Tide - c) Clearance in feet/metres above Mean High Water Springs

9/ Why do we use Nautical Miles on the sea instead of Statute Miles?
a) It’s old established nautical measurement from the 17th Century and changing it would mean the whole world of shipping and aircraft would have to change.
-b) A Nautical Mile is directly related to the Earths Latitude Lines and minutes of the arc along its Longitude.
-c) Nautical Miles came from Viking seafarers who worked out from the Sun and Stars how long 1 Nautical mile actually is. Therefore because of the Earths curvature, this caught on and other Nations used it. The Nautical mile is slightly more than a Statute Mile because of this.

by shibbs » 29 Apr 2021, 21:14

Well I can happily say I can answer fairly confidently all correctly with the exception of No7! Not sure on that one.

Tht said, I have literally just finished 18 months worth of Nav training with work so have a fair advantage! :D
Will
Certainly Be having a read up to confirm Q7 though..

Are they all fair expected knowledge of the average ( ie us) boat user? I will
Happily admit that prior to starting this course I certainly wouldn’t have known a fair number of them..

by Ianfs » 30 Apr 2021, 07:49

Nav training eh. Thats intense and mostly what a Yachtmaster course consists of.

It wasn't my intention to make them too hard but maybe I went a little overboard, ....pun intended!! Sorry :lol: I do think most of the questions ought to be within reach of the average boater and maybe if not I thought a quick Google search will definitely answer them and they might come in useful at some stage in the future, you never know. :D

PM me your answers. :D

by ian h » 03 May 2021, 19:20

not attempted yet but looks like something we should all know
ian h