• Boat Banter

It is currently 12 May 2024, 13:04
  • In total there are 6 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 6 guests (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
  • Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests

Motor Boat Forum

E10 fuel

by Doc Oakley » 06 Aug 2021, 18:14

I cross-posted on this in the engines bit of the forum. Advice on the internet is confused, with statements like 'some older petrol [marine] engines may not be compatible' - I'm going to contact BRP and see where my 2012 E-Tec sits in relation to this. I do always add stabiliser to every tank (not just for winter). For the amount of fuel I use in the boat, I would definitely go for the E5 super, but that will be phased out at some point as well. When I hear back from BRP, I'll post a reply here.

Doc.
Bonwitco 385/Evinrude E-Tec 25; Wetline 265/Honda 5
Doc Oakley
Able Rate
Able Rate

Location: North Worcestershire

by argonaut » 06 Aug 2021, 20:35

I did my own research …. Contacted fuel companies, and importantly for me Volvo Penta

The response was all new engines manufactured after 2011 will be fine …. any doubt use serial number and ask manufacturer.
VP advised all new engines are fine with E10, if you have engines older than 2011 then get manufacturer to confirm.
Of course has your boat builder used Ethanol safe hoses & tanks is a separate Q.
That depends on your boat builder, in my case FourWinns have been E10 safe for decades.

Key to consider is that E10 fuel been in places in the US for over 40 years, any motor since 2011 will be fine as legislation forced manufacturers to comply.
US is already passing laws on E15, and many commercial vehicles can now run on E.85

With UK tree huggers we can expect to see calls for going to higher ratios than E10 very soon.

E10 fuel does absorb water more than E5, for storage - I will follow normal regime of adding correct ratio of Stabiliser …. Last few year been using Quickstor, and filling tank totally.
Less chance of condensation as then less air in contact with fuel.
I have a water separator filter … changed at each service, if you don’t have one then you should fit one, to keep water away from pumps, carbs or fuel injection components.

I always get a service at end of season, but specifically instruct them NOT to add stabiliser, I do that myself so I know correct ratio has gone in.
FourWinns H210, Volvo 280-C-N duoprop, Monster MTK tower, SBS 2600 twin axle trailer
Tow Vehicle - Landrover Discovery Sport
User avatar
argonaut

by Doc Oakley » 07 Aug 2021, 08:55

That's useful to know. According to BRP/Evinrude 'up to 10%' ethanol is acceptable, so 10% is sort of marginal, therefore I will probably mix in some 'super' E5 to stay within an acceptable margin.

Doc.
Bonwitco 385/Evinrude E-Tec 25; Wetline 265/Honda 5
Doc Oakley
Able Rate
Able Rate

Location: North Worcestershire

by argonaut » 07 Aug 2021, 12:06

It’s not necessary, but you can spend your money any way you want.
FourWinns H210, Volvo 280-C-N duoprop, Monster MTK tower, SBS 2600 twin axle trailer
Tow Vehicle - Landrover Discovery Sport
User avatar
argonaut

Previous