  • In total there are 34 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 34 guests (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
  • Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 34 guests

Motor Boat Forum

E10 fuel

by argonaut » 14 Apr 2021, 08:48

I assume you are aware that EU directive has dictated 5% ethanol is in standard UK unleaded fuel 95 RON. - E5.

This changes this year ... when the country moves 95 RON to E10
There can be significant issues for using E10 fuel in marine engines .... water contamination & phase separation being amongst them..

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/e10-petrol-explained

There is a workaround .... use super unleaded 98 or 102 RON, ..that though will be a costly choice.

Although written for US market, the following explains issues of E10 in marine engines.
https://www.westmarine.com/WestAdvisor/ ... o4x801t6U0
FourWinns H210, Volvo 280-C-N duoprop, Monster MTK tower, SBS 2600 twin axle trailer
Tow Vehicle - Landrover Discovery Sport
User avatar
argonaut

by MartynG » 22 Apr 2021, 19:14

It has not previously occurred to me to use super unleaded in the outboard for my dinghy or in my lawnmower but I will give it a go when I next buy some fuel.

Even the lawnmower doesn't like last years fuel which has been kept in an air tight fuel can. Something I have noticed over the last couple of years so sounds like things will be worse with E10 fuel.

I recall a car some decades ago that ran better o 4 star compared to unleaded .
It also achieved better mpg on 4 star to the extent that the cost per mile was lower despite 4 star being more expensive. Is the same true with super unleaded ?
User avatar
MartynG

Joined: 31 Oct 2015, 17:41
Location: The Planet Earth

by Ianfs » 28 Apr 2021, 11:26

I think a higher octane fuel doesn't burn as rapidly or as readily as a lower octane, consequently pre ignition is not as prevalent and higher octanes work better with higher compression. Apart from that I haven't clue if they are more economical.

by MartynG » 05 May 2021, 17:47

I would be more interested in the high octane fuel not going off over time rather than fuel economy.
User avatar
MartynG

Joined: 31 Oct 2015, 17:41
Location: The Planet Earth

by Ianfs » 07 May 2021, 18:41

The only thing I know about the shelf life of petrol is from several mails to a few of the big oil producers a few years ago on behalf of the forum and when I had some old fuel in my boat which was causing backfires and hesitation at high power or high revs.

A couple replied, BP and Shell and they both said that regardless of the Octane they all will lose what they called "light ends" as time goes on and therefore their ability to evaporate and ignite correctly.

What was suggested by forum member who is a very qualified motor engineer and engine tuner was to add some high octane or Super Unleaded "V Power" or BP Ultimate to the old fuel, which I did and it seemed to do the trick.

by argonaut » 07 May 2021, 19:31

I know some won’t use previous years fuel …
Each year I put in Quicksilver fuel stabiliser, fill tank to brim (lowers condensation )

Yesterday, finished de-winterising, fiddly to refit water pump impeller, and found 1 more pulley for Serpentine belt than manual shows. (Made me think for a bit)

Turned the key and it started instantly, didn’t even hear a hint of a turn over - was truly instant, and immediate super smooth idle.
Previous Mercruisers would always be a bit lumpy on first start, and took a run to ‘clear out the cobwebs’

This VP 4.3L 280hp started absolutely perfectly, and not even a hint of any smoke.

That engine has sat still since October, and on fuel bought in September …. and all worked faultlessly.
FourWinns H210, Volvo 280-C-N duoprop, Monster MTK tower, SBS 2600 twin axle trailer
Tow Vehicle - Landrover Discovery Sport
User avatar
argonaut

by shibbs » 07 May 2021, 23:16

I’ve heard different views on fuel or empty tanks over winter.
I get both theories.. full = no condensation. Empty = less fuel to go off, new filters and separators at start of seasons takes care of that.
I’ve yet to come to a decision of what is best, and either way, I add stabiliser without fail.
One question though.. there is clearly a difference between fuel at the pump ( and by tht I mean high street pumps)
Certain companies like shell, esso and BP, are known for having better quality fuel from let’s say and super market forecourt.
However, ‘super’ ie 98 octane fuel, ‘should’ be the same, should it not, from where ever it’s from.. hence the price increase?this is me talking outloud so please correct me if I’m wrong.
Now, this is a question, so please add your opinion if you know the answer, as I very rarely buy fuel from a marine supplier. But, is fuel from a marine jetty higher octane ( ie super / 98 Oct) or is it ‘normal’ fuel that you would get from a roadside forecourt?
If so, are we talking shell, BP, esso standard or supermarket etc..
I only ask as the mark up at a marine jetty is nothing short of disgusting!
I go out of my way to avoid - where possible, and put the hard leg work in with Jerry cans.
(I’ve got into a pretty good routine of 20l every time I go to the boat regardless, and it generally keeps her topped up)
But, if the fuel is higher octane and better from a marine jetty I would maybe reconsider if the benefits were worthwhile wrt the ethonol problem.
To be honest, burn rate and MPG, wouldn’t really bother me in the long run. I just refuse to pay ridiculous prices foe the same fuel...

by argonaut » 08 May 2021, 08:51

Your logic is not correct :-)

If you buy standard 95 Ron. (Unleaded) it meets the International standard, no matter whether you buy it from, Shell or Tesco.
Now Shell claim to add cleaning detergents to make theirs better, but it does not alter the RON rating, it will not perform better …. It ‘may’ keep system clean, but could also just be marketing smoke & mirrors.

Now for Super Unleaded (97-99 RON) you say you believe that will be the same on all forecourts …. why do you believe 95 Ron standard is not the same yet 97-99 standard is …. That is the flawed logic.

All super unleaded meets the appropriate standard for 97-99 RON … one super special name may sell it to 99 RON another only to 98 RON

Should I use it …. Super Unleaded has an ignition suppressor that prevents pre-ignition (engine knock) when under high compression.
Unless your engine is a high performance, high compression engine it will not make any difference to performance …. It won’t harm the engine, but you are just wasting money.

I find it amusing on US boat sites, guys use Super Unleaded all the time, and use SeaFoam additive on every tank, it makes zero difference ! …

As to why I fill my tank when winterising …. Air space = condensation, so filling it reduces condensation.
I have a full service before I winterise … so engine sits in clean oil, filters when idle.
Why leave engine sitting in old oil for 6 months ? … that though is my choice.

When I start season, I run fuel as low as I can on fuel, before topping up, so that I burn off all old fuel first.

I use Shell 95 Ron as a Shell garage is 1/2 mike from my house, but be happy to use (and have done when on offer) Sainsbury’s fuel, as that is on my route to launch site.

As per my original post, when UK governments changes to force increase of Ethanol, I may then need to start using Super Unleaded… but to avoid Ethanol, not to get better fuel.

Take a read:
https://www.regit.cars/car-news/is-supe ... -car_65626

https://www.which.co.uk/news/2020/09/su ... d-to-know/
FourWinns H210, Volvo 280-C-N duoprop, Monster MTK tower, SBS 2600 twin axle trailer
Tow Vehicle - Landrover Discovery Sport
User avatar
argonaut

by shibbs » 09 May 2021, 18:39

Not the first time my logic has not been correct! :? :lol:

by argonaut » 09 May 2021, 18:54

:P
FourWinns H210, Volvo 280-C-N duoprop, Monster MTK tower, SBS 2600 twin axle trailer
Tow Vehicle - Landrover Discovery Sport
User avatar
argonaut

Next