• Boat Banter

It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 08:23
  • View new posts
  • View unanswered posts
  • Who is online
  • In total there are 62 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 62 guests (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
  • Most users ever online was 1736 on 21 Nov 2020, 15:51
  • Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 62 guests

Motor Boat Forum

Interested in boating but know very little ..... help!!

by SKIDDERWOLF » 16 Nov 2020, 11:40

Hi All, I am interested in obtaining a small motor boat to spend time navigating the rivers and canals
around Warwickshire, visions of an Idyllic potter down a river, stopping for a picnic on the bank maybe
BUT I have absolutely no Idea how to get started and I am looking here for help please. I have been on
the canals and rivers trust sites so I know there are licenses and insurances to pay (I have a 3hp outboard)
depending on where I am sailing but assuming I pay these can I just put my boat in the water at any
location I choose? I am mostly interested in Warwick area of the Avon to start with. I am struggling to
find this any consistent information via google. Does anyone do similar? any help would be most appreciated,

Richard
SKIDDERWOLF
Able Rate
Able Rate

by Ianfs » 18 Nov 2020, 14:55

Hi Richard

I live down south on the coast so I'm not much help with local knowledge, I however have found
this website, I'm sure you must have found it already though, which states that there is 47miles
of navigation on the Avon in Warwickshire. It's not very clear about which licence you would
want and also it states for an annual licence you need a mooring, a bit silly for a small boat.

https://www.avonnavigationtrust.org/maps/

With a 3hp outboard a small inflatable would be an excellent choice for pottering around, especially
in shallower parts which other boats may not reach. Even a small sailing dinghy which could take an
outboard , without the sail would work well, Mirror dinghy's were designed for just this and there
are still a few around at reasonable prices.
Ianfs
Captain
Captain

by ChrisH » 20 Nov 2020, 16:06

I don't know the area either I'm afraid. But with a small inflatable you would be able to launch
from any public riverside land where you could safely inflate her and push into the water with
out causing an obstruction . Assuming it is a navigable part of the river.
Here is an example on the Thames
Wokingham Sports Centre Slipway
ChrisH
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

by Doc Oakley » 16 Dec 2020, 06:38

There's an historic right of free navigation on The Severn above Stourport, if you find yourself out that way. That said, the river has declined in terms of its' navigability since the commercial days, so you will need
there to be a decent amount of water - which is usually the case Autumn/Winter/Spring. I've certainly seen sizeable river cruisers at Bewdley when conditions allow, but for an inflatable you will have much better
scope. Just beware the shallows at Blackstone, under Bewdley bypass bridge.
Bonwitco 385/Evinrude E-Tec 25; Wetline 265/Honda 5
Doc Oakley
Able Rate
Able Rate

Return to Motor Boat Forum

User Menu