• Boat Banter

It is currently 18 Apr 2024, 02:31
  • In total there are 24 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 24 guests (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
  • Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 24 guests

Motor Boat Forum

Cleaning boat Vinyl

by argonaut » 17 Oct 2020, 22:47

Have the usual issue this time of the year of getting to the boat and finding loads of dead flies on the seats & hatch upholstery.
The boat is under a boat shed roof so no covers over the boat (like it to dry out). ... covers don’t go on until close down for the season.
Some of the flies leave a black or orange stain ...... I use a marine multi-surface cleaner, it removes most stains, except the red dots.

Anybody have a good vinyl cleaner to recommend, don’t want to risk strong solvents as they may discolour or remove the plasticisers, and cause long term problems.
FourWinns H210, Volvo 280-C-N duoprop, Monster MTK tower, SBS 2600 twin axle trailer
Tow Vehicle - Landrover Discovery Sport
User avatar
argonaut

by Ianfs » 18 Oct 2020, 17:31

Something like this

Magic Sponge

Which is basically this.........

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Melamine_foam

It is abrasive but does work if used very lightly. :D

by argonaut » 18 Oct 2020, 19:44

Is this ‘rough’ on the vinyl ... don’t want to damage the finish.
FourWinns H210, Volvo 280-C-N duoprop, Monster MTK tower, SBS 2600 twin axle trailer
Tow Vehicle - Landrover Discovery Sport
User avatar
argonaut

by Ianfs » 20 Oct 2020, 11:47

There is no denying it is abrasive, so it would be wrong to say it is not.

However if used as directed with water, i.e soak the sponge in a bucket of water and very gently rub the area's affected it should take off the staining without damaging the covers.

If you were to use it a lot on vinyl and rub hard, then it would be similar to using a mild wire wool and gradually wear away the top surface.

Although my boat is a lot older than yours I have used it many times to get rid of mould stains and I rub it quite hard. Yes there is some mild degradation in my case but that's over a few years of rubbing.

I'm not sure what else you could use, chemicals might eat into the fabric.

by argonaut » 20 Oct 2020, 12:46

On a couple of US forums, the answer seems to be Starbrite Vinyl cleaner, cleans and adds protection
Not found any in UK yet
FourWinns H210, Volvo 280-C-N duoprop, Monster MTK tower, SBS 2600 twin axle trailer
Tow Vehicle - Landrover Discovery Sport
User avatar
argonaut

by shibbs » 26 Oct 2020, 09:50

https://www.tcschandlery.co.uk/mobile/s ... gJtL_D_BwE

I’ve been using this stuff for a few years and works pretty well. As long as you follow the instructions and clean off after with fresh water it’s been no problem at all.
Worth a try?