  • In total there are 30 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 30 guests (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
  • Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 30 guests

Motor Boat Forum

How do I select a Prop

by argonaut » 31 Jul 2020, 12:33

On another forum there are always questions regarding prop selection, what pitch do I need, am I over-propped, can I geta prop to make boat go faster, do I need 4 blades or 3.

So I put together a small guide .... attached as pdf .... maybe use to some so sharing :

Prop guide.pdf
(287.47 KiB) Downloaded 442 times
Last edited by argonaut on 10 Aug 2020, 15:51, edited 1 time in total.
FourWinns H210, Volvo 280-C-N duoprop, Monster MTK tower, SBS 2600 twin axle trailer
Tow Vehicle - Landrover Discovery Sport
User avatar
argonaut

by ian h » 31 Jul 2020, 17:55

Brilliant write up.

Very good read.

The art of correct propellers is a black art as well, Depends whom you speak to. Also need to take into account of the boat it is running on,

For example my engineer used to set up my twin engine installation on the Hunton the same as he did for single engine V24 race boat,

Talking to another Hunton Owner whom has done extensive prop testing he has found that the boats perform better with a slightly different prop set up.

I remember when I sent my props to Steel developments for some minor dings to be taken out they "on their own accord" changed the cupping, Before work 47 knots top speed after work 43-44 knots, I was not happy,
And to top it all the 4 propellers did not even have the blades set the same :oops:
ian h

by argonaut » 31 Jul 2020, 20:33

I know some people for twin-engine rigs run one clockwise and one anti-clockwise.
Would certainly prevent paddle wheeling when in reverse.
.

Not sure how you would set up something like this ....... 20000Hp
.
a lot of horses.jpg
a lot of horses.jpg (54.23 KiB) Viewed 5462 times
FourWinns H210, Volvo 280-C-N duoprop, Monster MTK tower, SBS 2600 twin axle trailer
Tow Vehicle - Landrover Discovery Sport
User avatar
argonaut

by Ianfs » 02 Aug 2020, 11:32

Just read that write up Rick. Very informative, a great read. :)

by argonaut » 02 Aug 2020, 13:24

I didn’t invent any of this, all the information is freely available, just see the same questions asked so decided to pull the information together.