• Boat Banter

It is currently 16 Apr 2024, 17:47
  • In total there are 19 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 19 guests (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
  • Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 19 guests

Motor Boat Forum

New engine run in procedure

by shibbs » 17 Jul 2020, 21:49

Hi Ian,
I'm out first thing for a bit of early morning fishing with my son, probably out around the forts for a couple of hours. Then, all being well later in the day, i'm hoping to head over to Cowes for the evening.
Where are you heading or wherever the day takes you?

by ian h » 18 Jul 2020, 19:31

Sorry missed your reply, We went down to the forts saw a lot of boats fishing there, Had a look around Wotton Creek and them up the Medina , did around 50 miles , Great fun
ian h

by shibbs » 31 Jul 2020, 22:00

Ian H, did I see ‘flying thoroughbred’ come past Newtown creek today, mid afternoon? I was at anchor just outside having a play on the paddle boards and saw a Hunton go past a little way out, wondered if it was you?

by ian h » 01 Aug 2020, 20:00

Was not me . Was down today with the intention of going out but have acquired an EDC electrical fault to do with Gear shift actuator
ian h

by shibbs » 01 Aug 2020, 22:40

That's a shame to hear. Oh the joy of boats.
We have just had 2 really good nights away, 2 nights in east Cowes with a day out in the middle (down to Newtown Creek for the afternoon).
New engine is running really nicely although i did have a morning alongside trying to re-position an ill-fitting alternator. I was getting the 'screach' from the alternator and on investigation, it appeared it wasn't fitted straight. Took a couple of hours of messing about and trial and error but got it sorted eventually.
Today we planned to head to Beaulieu from Cowes but with wind strength and direction, it was just too wet, we headed back along the coast, got very wet but had an enjoyable run. She is comfortably sitting at 25 knots at about 2800 rpm, even with all our stuff onboard, ( alot of weight over the last couple of days). She's now at just over 12 hours.
East Cowes was enjoyable, with a bit of paddle boarding and a few rides in the dinghy back and forth, all good learning and experiences for the boys.
We have learnt however, that with a ( Very tall) 15 year old and ( a very tall) 10 year old, it seems we have most certainly (sadly) outgrown the boat, at least for over nighting anyway. A LOT of boat envy happening with the possibilities of what a bigger boat could bring...

by Ianfs » 02 Aug 2020, 11:31

A LOT of boat envy happening with the possibilities of what a bigger boat could bring...

It's so nice to hear about families getting involved with boating life from both you and Shibbs. Brings back great memories of boating with my dad, learning to fish etc.

by ian h » 08 Aug 2020, 20:45

Well fault seems to have been sorted and went for a little run today , 86 Miles to be precise. good go filled up before we went out.

Went down to Bournemouth and around the cruise lines anchored up.

The M3 was its usual nightmare on a sunny day with reports 6 miles of slow traffic J13 back to 11.

We took the cross country route from J9 to Southampton, - Was shocked on the way home around 6.30 as thought the M3 would be busy but it was remarkably empty.

Who else was out today ?
ian h

by ChrisH » 13 Aug 2020, 11:08

Glad she is running well now Stu.

My kids (older) were out on Tuesday, it was stunning by all accounts. Flat calm. Spent the afternoon at New Town Creek - not too busy, and water was so warm for swimming.

Wish I had the power you have, I'm a bit underpowered. She runs fine with 4 light people up, but 4 chunky adults and a strong tide or headwind ,and she has to work hard.

If anyone hears of a good condition VP AD41 up for sale, I might well be interested, I'm told it is a fairly straight forward swap.
User avatar
ChrisH

Previous